Wordpress usergroup integration

Discussion in 'Integration' started by holly, Jun 16, 2020.

1. holly

holly New Member

I have several levels of membership. Do I have to assign a DIFFERENT usergroup (i.e. contributor) to each level of membership or can I assign the SAME usergroup (i.e. contributor) to all my membership levels?

I need to do this so, if someone has 2 memberships and cancels one, they can still get the content for their active membership but not for the inactive membership.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

3. holly

holly New Member

Ok, so now I am TOTALLY CONFUSED.

According to aMember's instructions (wiki documentation and video tutorial for wordpress), after I install the wordpress plugin I must remember to also set up the usergroup integration... there is even a notice at the top of the wordpress setup/configuration page in amember that says "Once the plugin configuration is finished on this page, do not forget to add a record on aMember CP -> Protect Content -> Integrations page"

But now, you're telling me I do not have to take that last step and set up the protection on the integratin page?

Why would all of amember's instructions - and the program itself - tell me to do this if I don't have to do it?

All I want is for this to function properly... are there any updated instructions anywhere that will show me what is required NOW in 2020 for me to integrate amember with wordpress?

I need to be able to protect content for different levels of membership and also be able to drip content... and I need my members to be able to access the content for their active memberships even if they have cancelled another level of membership.

Please clarify exactly what I do and don't need to do to make this happen. Thanks.
  4. caesar

It depends on your use case.

In your case you do not need integration plugin. You can disable it at:
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Add-ons

You need only amember plugin for Wordpress.
    You can download it at:
    https://www.amember.com/wp-plugin/amember4.zip

Then install it to Wordpress
    https://wordpress.org/support/article/managing-plugins/#manual-upload-via-wordpress-admin

then configure it (setup path to aMember) within WP:
    wp-settings.png

Then you can protect pages/posts in wordpress (including drip-feed) based on aMember Products:
    https://docs.amember.com/docs/Wordpress/Page_Post_Category_Protection_Settings

Best Regards.
  5. holly

holly New Member

Ok Caesar, thank you for your patience, and for explaining that to me. I figure the aMember Pro Developer should know whether or not I'd need that integration to do what I need to do, lol. I appreciate your help.
  6. caesar

7. holly

holly New Member

Hi Caesar, guess what? I followed your instructions, and it didn't work.

Without creating that integration record, no user was created in wordpress, and so some of my other wordpress plugins did not work (for example, a menu plugin that shows links based on whether someone is logged in or out of wordpress).

I created the integration record, and that fixed things. However, now I'm back to my original question...

I have more than 1 level of membership. I only want members to be able to access content for their ACTIVE subscriptions. Does that mean I need to create a different integration record for each membership level (i.e. contributor for one membership level and editor for another level) in order to make this happen?
  8. caesar

Do you really need these users in Wordpress? In this case yes - you need to use integration plugin too.

But much better way contact us in support and I will send you plugin that show/hide menu items based on aMember login status and products. I still think you do not need this integration plugin based on your questions. (unless you use some other Wp plugins that rely on user records)

Regarding your question: It is up to you. aMember just assign roles that you choose here (according user active subscription).
    How do you plan to use these roles in wordpress?
  9. holly

holly New Member

Right now, I'm using a show/hide menu plugin, but it only deals with logged in/out and doesn't include products.

That plugin you mention sounds perfect BUT does it only work as a sider menu?

I tried using the amember menu widget, but that widget only works for sidebar menus and my menu is at the top because most of my users are on mobile devices.
  10. caesar

It works with menu that you add at:
    Wordpress -> Appearance -> Menus

Please submit ticket to helpdesk and we will send you this plugin:
    https://www.amember.com/support
  11. holly

holly New Member

All of them work with the wordpress menus. The question is... is the plugin preformatted (the way the amember widget is) to work only with sidebar menus.

And, I still need an answer to my original question...

I am going to go ahead and do the integration records. I need to know if I set both level 1 and level 2 membership as "contributor" and have a member who subscribes to both level 1 and level 2, and then unsubscribes to level 1... if they will still be able to access content for level 2 and not access content to level 1
  12. caesar

I recommend just test plugin to understand how it works. (This plugin is free)

User role in WP does not matter for aMember. You will protect Pages/Posts based on products from aMember.
    User will have access if he has active product that you set within protection settings.
  13. holly

holly New Member

Ok, I think I finally "get" it. Thanks for your patience Caesar!
  14. caesar

You are welcome!
  15. insafalihack

insafalihack New Member

hello i want to intergrate amember user group users in wordpress i already done its and its working but when new users signup that not able to login in wordpress every time need too rebuild wordpress db. what i do please solve this issue
  16. caesar