WordPress Now Shows a Page Not Found Error Suddenly

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by thinkscripter, Sep 20, 2012.

1. successclasses

successclasses New Member

2. successclasses

The amember staff has successfully added an .htaccess file to my AMember directory (which did not exist before they placed it there) with the new RewriteBase rule in it and the problem still exists. I still receive a 404 error whenever I try to go to any page on my WordPress site that is protected by the AMember system.

Another interesting thing to note is that if I delete the .htaccess file out of the AMember folder entirely it makes absolutely no difference! In other words, this file is being completely ignored by WordPress and AMember. Yet Alex insists that AMember can't run without it.

One thing that is probably different in my install from most people is that my WordPress site is not on the root public_HTML of my domain, but rather in a subdomain folder. Nonetheless, I have tried modifying the rule to include the subdomain folder directory name as well and it makes no difference. My site is still inaccessible by any of my members!

I have requested an urgent live chat technical support session with the AMember folks, so I will keep you all updated as to how that goes. But so far I am beyond frustrated!
  3. successclasses

Final Update: Alex got onto my site tonight and discovered what the problem was for me. As I stated in my original post in this thread, I am using version 3 of aMember. As such, my problems differ from all the rest of you. :) the WordPress upgrade to 3.4.2 created core functionality differences in how redirects were handled by WordPress. These differences caused the WordPress plug-in (which version 4 doesn't need because the functionality is built-in) to cease handling redirects properly.

Alex was able to quickly fix the plug-in such that everything is working perfectly again.

Presumably Alex and the team will be producing an updated plug-in for those of us still on the legacy versions of aMember, but for the rest of you, using the .htaccess file trick should suffice.

Thanks Alex!
  4. leahn88

leahn88 New Member

Ohhh thank god this is working. I was becoming desperate. Awesome. Long live the "rewrite base"
  5. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Seems new host updates its configuration....
  6. alaingauthier

alaingauthier Click Play To Learn

I now have this same problem but cannot figure what line to add to the .htaccess file. HELP!
  7. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried suggestion from the first message of this thread?
    So you should add this line if you have amember installed in http://www.example.com/amember/
    RewriteBase /amember
    if you have aMember installed in http://www.example.com/members/ this line:
    RewriteBase /members

etc...
  8. david_hunt

david_hunt aMember Pro Customer

Similar but different issue

My offsider Change the links in a member.
    And now I get this message when we go into the site about the serial number

Script Error
    After upgrading from aMember Trial to aMember Pro, it is necessary to install
    license key. You can find your license key in the aMember Pro Customers Area
    If you are the site administrator, click this link to fix

Usually is when you click the link it doesn't recognise my own installation.
    So my question is: how do you change the AMember serial number into the software without having access to the admin area?
  9. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Firstly it would have been better to start a new thread as your question bears no relation to the threads subject.

Do you not have access to admin panel?

What you are wanting to do should be impossible, unless you have access to the actual database, as you are trying to change configuration settings without having admin permission.

This would be a hackers heaven, ability to change configuration settings of thousands of sites at will!!!
  10. alexander

11. alexander

if you tried all suggestions from this threads and your aMember installation still doesn't work, contact us in helpdesk.
  12. microvb

microvb Member

Some of my clients experienced the same issue. I was able to resolve this by doing the following:

Default Wordpress .htaccess (in wordpress root folder)
    Code:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    Change to
    Code:
    Options -Indexes

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    #RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^amember - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    This will disable base rewriting, and add an exception to not handle 'amember' folder rewrites from the root. The problem you are experiencing, will only happen if wordpress's root path is below amember's installation path (which is normal, and in my opinion the proper, and clean way to set up this combination).
  13. trajuacarlos

trajuacarlos New Member

nonsuchbelts.com