Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) - Stripe

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by scottymac1979, Jun 12, 2019.

1. scottymac1979

scottymac1979 aMember Pro Customer

For the past month or so I've received a number of emails from Stripe about Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) which effect customers in the EU and sounds as though it is going to be a disaster for those running membership sites with recurring payments. More info about it is here https://stripe.com/gb/guides/strong-customer-authentication

I'm still running Amember 4.7.2 with the standard Stripe plugin as it has worked brilliantly for a few years now but having contacted stripe today they now say that 100% of my recurring payments will begin to fail from September 14th when the new regulation is in place.

Does anyone know if the latest version of Amember and Stripe plugin is equipped to deal with this issue? obviously if this is the case then I will be happy to upgrade but as a small business I need to be sure that the steps I am taking are actually going to solve the problem. I'm also wondering if anyone else is effected by this and has taken any steps as yet?

I also use Paypal and haven't heard from them regarding any issues with recurring payments, but must admit that is also a worry.

Thanks
  2. imagely

imagely aMember Pro Customer

We're wondering about the same thing. It looks like the Stripe plugin needs to be updated to use the Stripe Intents API.
  3. johnww

johnww aMember Pro Customer

Yes. We urgently require a new version of the Stripe payment method that supports SCA. Without this, it is possible that payments through Stripe will fail.
  4. ermenegildogiordani

ermenegildogiordani New Member

Same problem. Is there any update or news from amember?
  5. richardtcain

richardtcain aMember Pro Customer

Same here. I was in touch with amember a few months ago and they told me they were working on it but I heard nothing back.
    Strange how paypal are remaining tight lipped. I had a non-amember site which used paypal for subscriptions directly - but now they have stopped generating usernames and passwords for subscriptions.

If I want to continue with this site I will have to fork out for another amember payment (so they can manage the subscriptions) but am reluctant to do so if they haven't updated their systems.
  6. richardtcain

richardtcain aMember Pro Customer

Just got a message from amember: Richard,
    We are aware about this and working on updated Stripe plugin right now.
    New plugin will be available in next version that will be released in current month. (August)
  7. linguaspectrum

linguaspectrum Online English Teacher

If this is an EU directive, I would think that all payment processors would be compelled to use SCA, not just Stripe. I wonder if the PayPal and other payment plugins will comply with the requirements?
  8. scottymac1979

I'm getting very nervous about this now, I was told by Amember via support ticket that they were expecting the update to be completed mid-June.

My issue is that my subscriptions are fixed term, for example 12 monthly payments of X. Stripe have said that they do not natively support this, only rolling re-occuring payments with no end date which means it would be down to the Amember plugin to do it as it does now. As such until the Amember update is available I don't know if it is going to be suitable and I may need a developer. This on top of the fact that I need to pay to update Amember, shut the site down during the update period and then still be unsure if my September payments will all fail.
  9. scottymac1979

If anyone is looking at this thread and isn't aware the updated plugin is included in the latest version of Amember, I've just paid to upgrade and it is working perfectly. Many thanks to the Amember team! I can sleep again!
    caesar likes this.