Some members do not receive lost password email

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by simonsays, May 16, 2013.

1. simonsays

simonsays aMember Pro Customer

We have ongoing issues with some members not receiving emails when they click on the "Get Password" button. They do receive the message "Your password has been e-mailed to you.
    Please check your mailbox", however, no email is received, or in their spam/junk folder.

I cannot replicate the issue. Regardless, numerous customers have reported this issue. Any thoughts?
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Could be going into their junk mail? Server may not have a good email setup. you may need to set up smtp on amember.

David
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

A consideration if this is the case is using a mail sending service like SendGrid which can assist with getting your message into the inbox!
  4. simonsays

We're using an Amazon AWS server. What is weird that I can test it and not have an issue, other member's consistently do not get the email - and it's not in there junk or spam folder. What is the advantage of using SMTP versus the Internal PHP mail function in aMember for sending email?
  5. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Is there any common factor among the users that are not receiving the mail at all (ie. not in inbox or spam/junk). For example, are they all from yahoo.com or aol.com email addresses?

There is a potential that your IP may be blacklisted, especially if you are on a shared host or have reused an IP that was previously doing bad things.

You can check your IP here:

http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

The advantage of using something like SendGrid is that they work to ensure their addresses stay whitelisted for guaranteed mail delivery. This means, however, that they are very strict about the kind of email and the frequency you send it.
  6. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Their stored email is 100% correct presumably.
  7. simonsays

Discovered the issue - the web servers were generating mails with their internal hostname and some mail servers were rejecting them due to being from invalid/unresolvable domains. Not all mail servers block/bounce emails because of this....which explains why some users had the issue & others did not. The server admin re-configured the mail servers to always rewrite the from address domain.

Thanks for the mention of SendGrid. In my backpocket for future reference.
  8. rance

rance aMember Pro Customer

Just to add a little to this. I was having issue with this as well. I have also learned that high email from an AWS server has a higher likelihood of being block.
    I now use SendGrid. This is very helpful. Not only for setting things up, but also for monitoring delivery. I now send over 1 million to emails a month and have a 97+% delivery.