Soft Sale and Second AMember Purchase Inquiry

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by crystalmedia, Jan 23, 2020.

1. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

Hi. I'm looking to purchase a second AMember license for a page that will sell our desktop software. To do so I need to better understand Soft Sale module experience.

I have read the docs
    https://www.amember.com/docs/Softsale

If I understand correctly, Softsale manages software access via license and active subscription.

My questions are:

1. What happens if the user runs software on two computers using a single license? Does the software application close, does user receive a locked out message? What exactly happens?

2. Does user need to verify license frequently, or just one time?

3. Does user have to be logged in to my Amember website at all times?

4. Predefined keys - Do I just paste new keys in as time goes on? Do I have to re-paste keys that are in use by clients, or those have been added to a database?

5. What happens when subscription has expired? Does my software just stop working, will it redirect the customer to a log in and renewal page?

6. Is there a min max length for license key?

7. Will license keys appear on client profile page under Products and Subscriptions?

8. And lastly, is there a demo or development option where we can test the Soft Sale module with our software before purchase?

Thank you!

Jon
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello Jon,

1. User get license and then use this license code to activate software (exchange license with activation code that is binded to environment (domain name, ip address, hardware ID)). User can not activate same license second time.

2. It is up to you. It is configurable option.

3. Not at all. User only need valid license key.

4. Yes, you need to add key and then plugin use it one by one.

5. It is up to you. Please note module provide API, you will need to add license verification (based on API)
    to your software. So you can decide what to do when license expired.

6. No, there is not special requirements. Just you need to to have enough length to generate many licenses.

7. Yes, user will have separate section within his member area where he can see his license and download software.

8. I am afraid not.

Best Regards.
    crystalmedia likes this.
  3. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

@caesar thank as always.

"(domain name, ip address, hardware ID)"

Do any of these options support the ability for our customer to use software with one license key on every computer they own as long as only one session is active at a time?
  4. caesar

I am afraid there is not such feature. Module has limits only per installation (not per active session).
  5. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

@caesar one final question sir.

"De-activate License, this call allows to de-activate installation, it will allow to activate another installation for same license key. It is only possible if enabled in license scheme settings. Your application logic must remove local records about activation so de-activated installation may not be used again."

Client can buy single license, de-activate license, install on different computer, and then re-activate the same license on the different computer? In other words, client is still only using one license, but are able to transfer it to a different computer if they first de-activate. Is that correct?
  6. caesar

It is configuration option within license schema. You can choose single activation or allow to re activate license (and even set up maximum number of re activation for same license).
  7. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

@caesar

I have a client that purchases a subscription to two different pieces of desktop software I sell. After one month they keep subscription for software item 1 but cancel subscription for software item 2.

Will the license for software item 1 also work on the expired software item 2? How does softsale plugin know the license key is to only work with software item 1 and not expired software item 2?

And if... you could point me to the documents that explain your answer. Thank you again sir.
  8. caesar

Each item will have separate license key. One license expire and another continue to be valid.
  9. crystalmedia

crystalmedia Member

@caesar
    The question I want answered is "How is a key for product item 1 distinguished from a key for product item 2"?
  10. caesar

Each product has its own independent key. So key for product 1 and product 2 is different.