Show Password in Signup Form

Discussion in 'Templates customization' started by microlinx, Jan 19, 2015.

1. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

I am using both the username and password field block in my signup form.
    When a user tries to enter his password, all he gets is *************
    That's fine for logins, but for the signup, it's not necessary.

Anyone know how to show the password in the password field during signup?
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Actually, it's pretty much industry standard that password fields are obfuscated, even for signup - that's why you usually have to confirm it. Take a look at, e.g. FaceBook, Amazon or Apple Signup forms and you'll see theirs is hidden too.

Rather than hacking your site about, another solution would be to tick the option to Send Registration E-Mail in Setup/Configuration>Email - that way, they will get a plain text record of whatever they set in case they need it.

Cheers
    Rob
  3. microlinx

Thanks for the reply Rob. I agree with your points, but then again I'm struggling the get better signup form conversions. I watch the signup page on Google Analytics and many , MANY visitors just sit on my form for long periods of time and never signup. When I was using version 3 (been using aMember for over 10 years) conversions were almost guaranteed when a visitor hit the signup page. I realize this has a LOT to do with the proliferation of iPhone (in particular) and a considerable shift away from desktop. I'm at a loss...literally.

I'd also like to try to do a PayPal pay now button that would do the registration on the back side of the transaction, but I just can't find any documentation on how that is accomplished. I've heard it is possible with aMember. If you have any solution for making the sales funnel or the signup page more slippery, I'm open to suggestions.
  4. microlinx

BTW - when I was getting much better conversions I was NOT requiring the user to enter his username & password, so the system generated it and send it along. The problem there was that for some reason, many new members were not receiving their registration email (maybe because of a link in the mail?) I was sending with SMTP method but recently switched to the PHP mailer method instead which seem to be working better.