Moved to new server. PHP 7.3.2, MySQL 8.0.15, Am_App exception uncaught Type Error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by engineerwsu, Feb 8, 2019.

1. engineerwsu

engineerwsu Member

Long story short:
    • moved to new server
    • apache 2.4, php 7.3.2, MySQL8.0.15
    • amember 4.7.0
    The server was taken off line by the host before I got latest backups. Restoring from 2 month old backup. Restored files (and hopefully permissions), restored database. I can login to the admin area. Everything seems to work fine except the following areas give me error 500.
    • browse users
    • report generation
    • payments
    • manage products
    • setup/config
    The following is the error message I see in the server error log files (anonymized).

[Fri Feb 08 22:31:05.376875 2019] [php7:error] [pid 3589] [client 174.x.x.x] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught TypeError: Argument 1 passed to Am_App::__exception() must be an instance of Exception, instance of ParseError given in /eft/www/live/app/library/Am/App.php:2295\nStack trace:\n#0 [internal function]: Am_App->__exception(Object(ParseError))\n#1 {main}\n thrown in /amember/library/Am/App.php on line 2295, referer: https://site.com/app/admin-info

Upon checking the code in the App.php file, it appears amember is trying to error out and there is an issue with the data type or something. So, I guess fixing this problem isn't going to fix the underlying problem. Is there a compatibility issue with PHP 7.3 that is known? Will an upgrade to the latest version help?

If support can fix this problem, I'd gladly promote it.

Thank you
  2. engineerwsu

engineerwsu Member

I did some further testing on this issue. It appears even the installation script doesn't run correctly. There is a deprecated function set_magic_quotes_runtime() called out which apparently no longer exists in php 7. So, I'm leaning towards a compatibility issue with Amember 4.7.0 and php 7+.

The forum posts seem to indicate there were some issues running Amember prior to 5.0.0 on php 7. I suppose my question at this point is how difficult will an upgrade to the latest version of Amember be? I'm hoping it's not painful, but I use a subusers module that I need.

Anyone have any advice on this topic?
  3. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member