Moodle plugin php compatibility / features

Discussion in 'Integration' started by lousou76, Feb 5, 2020.

1. lousou76

lousou76 New Member

Hi,

We are using aMember Pro version 5.3.2 with moodle plugin and have noticed that iti is not compatible with php version higher than 7.0.

Moodle plugin has some bugs/disadvantages in Integration:
    1) It registeres all users in moodle using "self email registration". (we need manual)
    2) It sometimes desynchronises from course/group enrolments leaving users unenrolled users in courses that they already paid for.
    3) There is no option to add a user to multiple courses at once.
    4) There is no option to add user to cohort instead of course group

1) Is the latest version of amember Pro fully compatible with all higher than 7.0 php versions and latest Moodle ? (3.8*)

2) Are any of the above moodle plugin bugs addressed/fixed/added in latest version?

Regards,
    LS
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

Latest version of aMember is compatible with PHP 7.3 and with moodle 3.8.

Regarding Moodle and your questions:
    1. it require to changes in plugin. We can help you with these changes.
    2. It is necessary to check particular case. It should not happen.
    3. You can add to any number of courses. Just create multiple integration records:
    aMember CP -> Protect Content -> Integrations
    4. There is not such option.

Best Regards
  3. lousou76

lousou76 New Member

Thank you for replying

Please also reply about amember compatibility with php 7.1 and above.
    5.3.2 works only with php 7.0
  4. caesar

Yes, Latest version of aMember is compatible with PHP 7.3 and with moodle 3.8.
  5. lousou76

lousou76 New Member

Hi,

I had to fix problems and features mentioned above asap so I took the liberty of correcting the code, making the required changes/additions and updating the moodle plugin. It is nice that the code can be viewed/modified.

It works fine in my 3.7 and 3.8 installation and can also create integration bundles of courses.
    I thought it would be nice to share it so others can benefit.

I will sent you my modified plugin in pm and you can maybe add/merge my changes.

Best wishes,
    LS
  6. lousou76

lousou76 New Member

PS: I did not add the "cohort" option since it is not necessary after adding option for multiple course enrolments in Integration.

Regards
  7. caesar

Thank you! Please check my answer in pm.
  8. nadjavon

nadjavon aMember Pro Customer

Hi, we have been trying to configure aMember Pro with moodle for the past three weeks but unsuccessful. Is there any documentation or guide present for a member and Moodle integrations which we can use?
  9. jadewander

jadewander aMember Pro Customer

Could you provide a little more information? Someone might be able to help better. For example, double-checking your Moodle database configuration in aMember is correct and making sure you have added a record for Moodle on the Integrations page of aMember and set it for the products you want to be available to Moodle.
  10. halmaclean

halmaclean aMember Pro Customer

Just to add to the bundles of courses bit - we do this all the time, for almost all our clients using Moodle. You can do it with multiple integrations, but also with the Product Chain plugin (worth the cost if you run Moodle sites).

With multiple integrations, just create one product that the user will select or be assigned, and then add an integration record for that product to each of the courses that you want the user to get access to. When they are assigned that one product, all the others will appear for them as well.

To make it a bit more structured, use the Product Chain plugin which allows you to add products to a user's account when they are assigned one, or when the one they are assigned expires, etc:
    upload_2022-3-2_15-22-22.png

We also use a custom plugin that we built which we call a 'completion' product. It appears on a user's account once Moodle reports the user has completed the course in Moodle. Naturally, the completion of a course can happen before the expiry of a product, and so we can also chain other products related to the completion date. Since we use products, we can trigger the automated emails from those, too. The one downside of this is the sheer number of products you get in a busy site!

We've found that cohorts are no longer relevant in Moodle for us - we work with corporate clients mostly, and they just don't need them. aMember has more tools at your disposal to manage cohorts than the Moodle concept allows, and with the couple of ideas here, plus user groups in aMember, cohorts really are not that significant for us. I'm not sure how important they would be in a school setting, however.

A couple of other bespoke plugins allow us to add a user to a user group automatically in aMember based on some aspect of their user profile (i.e. if they are in 'Dept X' add them to user group X), and a second (really useful) plugin is to allocate a product based on that user group membership (If in Usergroup X, assign Product X). Combine that with the Product Chains and you've got some pretty powerful controls that Moodle cannot even get close to.