Many registrations signing up from Aland Islands!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ak48avk, Oct 3, 2020.

1. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

I have had 57 signups over the last month from the Aland Islands and never had any before. They all have pending payments. I feel this must be an error. I have emailed them all to ask them to check their country code.

Anyone else experiencing this? Either that or someone there is doing a great job in promoting me!

I'm on version 6.1.6 and I note that in the change log for the recent update 6.2.8 I notice "Bug Fixed in country/select'. Could this be the problem?

Should keep up with updates!

Thank you.
  2. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

Further info on this. On examining the sign ups, they all have gobbledygook IDs and also Names but the emails look as if they could be genuine. Analytics show no visits to my site from Aland Islands (that's off Finland).

So this looks like some sort of hack! Is this anything to worry about? I have been promoting a lot on social media over the period and haven't seen much business. Is there a connection? What would be the gain - signing up to my site and attempting to make a payment? After my PayPal details?
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

I believe it is just spam signup. I suggest to add reCaptcha to protect your signup form from spam.

You need to configure it (put public and secret keys) at:
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Setup/Configuration -> reCaptcha

and then add reCaptcha block to your form:
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Forms Editor -> (edit)

Best Regards.
  4. ak48avk

ak48avk Angela Kane

Hello Caesar,
    Thank you for coming back to me so quickly. Yes, now I think you are right. I've been pretty lucky so far as my site is pretty low key but as I said I've been doing a lot more promotion.

Yes, it's probably time to add the reCaptcha. Thank you so much once again for your guidance.

Best regards,
    Angela