IPN question regarding having paypal pro & paypal simultaneously

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by playpianoking, Oct 28, 2012.

1. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

PayPal only has one link box to enter into for it's IPN settings, so here are my questions:
    1) Can I accept BOTH PayPal Pro (credit cards) AND PayPal (Standard) as options?... Because in the aMember documentation it says to use PayPal Pro, I need to enter the following for IPN url:
    https://mysite.com/secure/payment/paypal-pro/ipn
    but for PayPal (standard) it says to enter this IPN url:
    https://mysite.com/secure/payment/paypal/ipn
    So with only one box to enter into the IPN section of PayPal, which one do I do?

2) PayPal Pro says that it can accept payments coming from different websites,
    which I guess makes sense, but what if two of the sites BOTH REQUIRE IPN? These
    IPN url's could be different, yet PayPal only allows one box for entry.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Maybe I am missing something but why are you using two versions by the same payment processor at the same time?
  3. playpianoking

playpianoking Member

Because PaypalPro is for accepting credit cards (and customers do not know what the gateway/merchant is here because I re-named 'PaypalPro' to 'Credit/Debit Card'). Paypal (standard) option also shows with the description of 'pay with your paypal account.' This may increase sales because basically people like to have the option of paying by credit card or with a paypal account. With 'PaypalPro', one cannot login to a PayPal account to pay.

So in summary, my options will allow payment by cc or paypal account.
  4. story

story New Member

This is a really old post, but I'd like clarification on this as well. Currently we have been using PayPal (standard) plugin and have the IPN set in PayPal as per the URL listed on the Plugin page. We are turning up PayPal Pro (for Credit Card - just like playpianoking is) and it has it's own IPN. Which one should we use? We have a LOT of subscriptions currently under the PayPal (standard) and posting to that IPN so we can't risk loosing them. PayPal Pro obviously works via API credentials though and I thought I read the following page: https://www.amember.com/docs/Payment/PaypalPro

And notices "...For aMember, it is only important that IPN is enabled. The IPN URL does not matter...." at the bottom of the page, which makes me think it won't matter as it will post to an IPN that our server has (Paypal - standard) and then aMembers will figure out who's invoice to apply it to.

Anyone able to comment on this?
  5. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

aMember send correct IPN url in payment request and PayPal in turn save this custom IPN url alongside with invoice. Then all IPN messages will be sent to IPN url saved in invoice instead of deafult one that you set in PayPal settings. That is why IPN url in your PayPal settings does not matter for aMember. So just enable PayPal Pro plugin and fill in your account credentials in plugin configuration. YOu do not need to change anything on PayPal side. Everything should works seamless.