How to prevent sign-ups with fake email addresses?

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by orish, Jul 31, 2021.

1. orish

orish aMember Pro Customer

I have had several attempts to sign up for a free membership made by fake or throwaway email addresses.

I've configured amember to send a confirmation email before activation. This has become essential for me now.

If the address is fake then the confirmation email will not be received and no big deal. However, if it's a throwaway email then the new user still gets important information in my email like contact details and can access the free protected areas, etc. (given them better opportunities to spam me or hack into the system).

How do I prevent this?

Ideally, I'd like to have a mechanism (like in Happy Forms) where the submit button is conditionally active. For instance, if the email is invalid (or has a banned domain, like *@abdiell.xyz, or even an invalid or banned TLD, like *.xyz) or if any of the fields contain a URL, or "http" then the submit button should remain inactive, i.e. not even allowing the user to send the form at all.

I think there is already a mechanism to ban IPs or a range of IPs (or maybe I'm thinking of something I've configured on my server), so that anyone operating from a banned IP can't even visit my website (just throws up some random error message as a deterrent). Doesn't stop people from using a VPN of course, so I don't know if it's viable.

Any ideas?
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

You can ban email domains in admin interface at:
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Blocking IP/E-Mail

Best Regards.
    orish likes this.
  3. joeyjay

joeyjay New Member

@orish, check your inbox for easy to follow instructions
  4. orish

orish aMember Pro Customer

Thank you Caesar. I completely forgot about this. I had even entered some IP addresses and emails before. So I knew about it already.

Silly me.

I particularly like the wildcard feature - that's very useful. I persistently get sign-up attempts with the TLD .xyz. So I think %.xyz will get rid of these hackers I hope :)
  5. joeyjay

joeyjay New Member

That makes 2 of us Orish, I have used the feature many times, but don't remember even seeing the email aspect of it, lol... Leave it to the aMember team to think of everything, eh?
  6. fionaclarkson

fionaclarkson New Member

Is there any way to prevent this, how do you know the addresses are fake?
  7. bstein

bstein aMember Pro Customer

there are services like 10minmail, imo not possible to get 100% rid of such attempts.