Creating unique signup fields with error reporting??

Discussion in 'Templates customization' started by mrlewk, Aug 11, 2009.

1. mrlewk

mrlewk New Member

Help creating unique signup fields with error reporting??

Hi, I've added a new field to my signup form, which is all good and enters the data into the database fine etc - but what I need to happen is for it to be checked like the email/login fields to make sure there are no duplicate entries and to feedback an error in that red table that appears at the top of the page.

I've added the table for the custom field in the database to the unique index, and so now if a double entry is added in the signup form it throws out this MySQL error:

MYSQL ERROR:<br />Duplicate entry 'NEW Life' for key 3<br />in query:<br />INSERT INTO amember_members (login,pass,email,name_f,name_l,street,city,state,zip,country,is_male,is_affiliate,aff_payout_type,unsubscribed,email_verified,churchname,churchurl, added, remote_addr, data, aff_id ) VALUES ('lewk', 'pass', 'info@some.com', 'L', 'ewk', 'ytr', 'hop', 'GB-NWP', 'qw67', 'GB', '', '', '', '', '', 'new', 'NEW Life', NOW(), '91.209.110.3', 'a:0:{}', '' )

So I know that the database is checking it properly and seeing double entries, so how can the page take this error and handle it properly so the end user can interpret it properly and know they need to enter a new name in the custom field?

This is quite urgent, so if anyone can help or know what to do soonish that would be great! Thanks,
  2. adnanzafar885

adnanzafar885 New Member

Hi @mrlewk ,

hope you're doing great !

did you find any solution to this, i am facing a same situation and have a same problem, database checks it right but not sure how to validate and handle it on the page side.

can you help ?

Thanks
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member