Facebook Advert Conversion Tracking Plugin

Discussion in '3rd Party Addons' started by robw, Jun 21, 2013.

1. paulbellow

paulbellow New Member

No problem. It tracked two sales/purchases fine the first day, but I tried to turn on Cloudflare and it stopped logging sales even though I had some. I turned off Cloudflare and will see if it works again. I had RocketLoader off, but I think it's the thing where when you're using Cloudflare, everyone shows as the same Cloudflare IP? There's an nginx module for it, but I don't have time to investigate that now.

Are you guys or anyone else using Cloudflare with this plug-in and the FB pixel?
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Not using Cloudflare, but the plugin only shows the proper Facebook code at the proper time, it doesn't have anything to do with how that code is (or is not) sent to Facebook.

To troubleshoot, first off, I'd do a test purchase with Cloudflare enabled and check the console log of your browser - that will show any javascript errors on your page. A JS error will generally halt all other JS code (including killing your pixel).

If no JS errors, do a test purchase in Chrome and have the Facebook Pixel Helper extension active. That will show the pixel firing (or not).

Hopefully that will give you some info you can use to fix or at least approach Cloudflare support with.

Cheers
    Rob
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. paulbellow

paulbellow New Member

Thanks. The pixel was firing as expected, but Cloudflare by default sets all IPs as one of their IPs. So, I think Facebook saw multiple sign-ups from the single IP and didn't log them correctly? They logged in Amember okay and the plug-in worked fine. I have debugging on and saw it fire in the logs, but it had Cloudflare's IP not the member's sign-up ID. There's a workaround for that, but I turned it off for the moment.

I came across this which will likely work, but I want to wait until next weekend when traffic isn't as heavy.

https://danielmiessler.com/blog/getting-real-ip-addresses-using-cloudflare-nginx-and-varnish/

The plug-in is definitely helpful. It tracked five purchases so far - before I fired up Cloudflare, anyway.

I did notice that the Events Manager showed purchases even if they didn't show on FB Ads Manager because they came from sources that weren't Facebook ads. That's super helpful.

Thanks for the tips, though. I'll likely hit-up Cloudflare and ask before I try again. I tried Googling, but not too many people were discussing the problem.

On a funny side-note, I did open up my free account level tonight - just for a minute! - to test that it was working. Coincidentally, right at that moment, a user stumbled by and signed up for free. Haha.

Tonight, I'm trying to get Google Analytics goals or ecommerce working...

Have a great week, and thanks again.
  4. paulbellow

paulbellow New Member

Just to follow-up, once I removed Cloudflare, purchases starting showing on the pixel again. The pixel fired with Cloudflare on, but it didn't register - i think because of the same IP thing?

Anyway, great plug-in. Thanks again.
  5. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Version 3.0 of my Facebook Advert Conversion Tracking plugin for aMember is now available

This version:
    • Allows you to use the Facebook Conversions API (CAPI) to make conversion tracking more robust
    • Sends both pixel and CAPI conversions back to Facebook with unique event ids. This ensures maximum redundancy in case the browser pixel is blocked, and allows Facebook to avoid duplicating conversions.
    • CAPI events are also sent asynchronously, so they won’t slow down your website
    • Option to store the Facebook Click ID to the member’s account when they login. That way, even if they clear cookies or purchase on a different device, conversions can still be tracked.
    • Rebills now tracked up to 60 days (using CAPI), giving a better picture of your return on ad spend (ROAS)
    • Works alongside the default aMember Facebook plugin, which adds Facebook login to your site. The quality of conversion tracking will be even higher for members who have used the login via Facebook option.
    Setup, as always, is made as simple as possible - just add your pixel ID and an access token for CAPI and the plugin will handle the rest!

Plugin requires PHP v7.2 or higher and works with aMember v6 or higher.

Cheers
    Rob
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    caesar likes this.