Using Bitcoin along with CC payments

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by microlinx, Dec 10, 2017.

?

Are you a bitcoin beleiver?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not sure yet...

33.3%
  1. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

Ok, maybe it's time to jump on the Bitcoin bandwagon, however, in my pricing scheme I want to charge a premium or full non discount price for those willing to use the shaky cryptocurrency...

My regular price is $79.95 and for all traditional credit card transactions, I reduce that price by 75% to the magical number of $19.95

HOWEVER, and not to be greedy, I would like to set it up so if someone uses BITCOIN as their payment option, the full $79.95 is charged....or at the current unbelievable BC price of $15,400 USD equivalent... 0.01 bitcoin.

Is that possible to do with aMember?
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

We have surcharge plugin that allow to add surcharge fee (fixed amount or % of total) based on used payment system.
    I guess you can use this plugin to increase price for bitcoin payment option.

You can request this plugin in helpdesk:
    https://www.amember.com/support

Here is screenshot of plugin configuration from my test installation.
    List of payment systems depend on plugins enabled in your setup.
    plugin-surcharge.png

Best Regards.
  3. swintec

swintec aMember Pro Customer

What reason do you have to charge so much for those who use the "shaky" currency? Use something like Bitpay (amember has plugin) and there should be minimal or no transaction costs unlike a credit card transaction PLUS the bitcoin is converted to USD (or possibly whatever your currency is) on the spot so the shakiness of bitcoins is really of no worry to you. If anything you should offer a slight discount fort hose who pay via bitcoins as it costs you less, with no chargeback risk. People arent going to pay you more just because the price of bitcoin is so high. They are still conscious consumers.
    caesar likes this.
  4. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

Not "shaky" are you kidding? Not long ago it was worth 18 cents, now it's $18,000 and rising.
    I'm not charging more, I'm just not applying the discount that established currency (dollar) users get. That is my business decision and mine alone. Your opinion is yours.
  5. swintec

swintec aMember Pro Customer

I understand it is your opinion and you will go through with it either way but it does not make any logical sense especially for someone looking to make sales...and make money.

Any of the payment services that you may use with amember are converting the bitcoins to your local currency on the fly, at the time of sale. In the case of us, the business, it does not matter what the price of bitcoin is, we are receiving currency just the same while the bitcoin users are exchanging the required amount of bitcoins that are needed to fulfill the invoice amount.

"I'm just not applying the discount that established currency (dollar) users get"

When someone pays with bitcoin, you get dollars in your bank account. When someone pays with a card, you get dollars in your bank account. Where is the difference to you?

Better yet, when the above dollars get to your account, do you want the processing fees taken out to be under 1% or even free with no chargebacks (bitcoin) or 2+% with chargeback risks (card payments)?

I can see if you were required to hold the bitcoins for some # of days before you could cash out but that is not the case with any of the processors I know.