Moodle 2.6 or 3.0 integration

Discussion in 'Integration' started by richard_fullbrook984, Nov 18, 2015.

1. ENTS

ENTS aMember Pro Customer

I'm attempting to get Moodle working with aMember Pro but I can't find very much documentation on how to get it working together (both systems work on their own though).

My specific case is allowing members (with or without a product - doesn't matter) to view course material within Moodle. We're able to use Moodle 3.0 or 2.6, although newer is better if possible. Having single-sign-on work would be preferred.

I cannot find the options others have mentioned (Site Administration -> Users -> Authentication) within Moodle, but I can see that aMember Pro is trying to set the moodle session by inspecting cookies and the database.

At this point I've configured Moodle to store sessions in the database and to have their path be /. I've also configured the aMember Pro moodle plugin in the administration panel.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. ENTS

I managed to forget all the warnings telling me to add the integration under protected content. Whoops.

As soon as I read the instructions, it worked.
  3. twholycross

twholycross Member

We are using Moodle 3.0 and I have the plugin and integration set. For some reason it doesn't seem to be sending the password from amember to moodle. The enrollment is being done from amember to moodle, the username is being sent, but the user can't log in to moodle with their password. If they do a password reset on moodle then it works. Any thoughts or ideas??? Thanks.
  4. ENTS

I haven't encountered that issue, but it may be related to having the databases not being synced. We had to add the aMember Pro login brick to Moodle and set up single sign on between the two applications.
  5. cambridge

cambridge New Member

Richard - is there documentation on the aMember Pro login brick and setting up single sign on between the two applications? what version of Moodle an aMember are you using? thx
  6. ENTS

The documentation is at the bottom of the settings page for the Moodle plugin. We're using Moodle 3.0 and plan to upgrade to 3.1 soon. Sorry for the late reply.
  7. cambridge

cambridge New Member

We have been concerned that there was no written documentation. It's great to hear that you're running 3.0 and upgrading to 3.1 soon. We are doing a major upgrade to 2.6 tomorrow. We plan to get current with another upgrade hopefully later this summer. Can you tell me where you host? We use Bluehost and wonder about performance issues running 3.0 and 3.1. Could we also contact you via email? thx
  8. ENTS

We are self-hosted and haven't noticed a major impact on our system. We don't have a high volume though, only about 50 users registered. Feel free to start a PM with me on here, my email inbox is a bit full at times and I don't want to miss your messages.
  9. halmaclean

halmaclean aMember Pro Customer

We are getting this exact issue as well. The problem appears to be that Moodle changed the algorithm for encoding the passwords between the versions. We went from v2.7+ to v3.1.1 and now the users cannot log in to Moodle at all.

They *can* access the amember side of things though, and the way to fix this is to have each user change their password in their 'profile'. Incidentally, if you've got any unfilled 'required' fields (maybe you added them after the suer account was created) then they have to fill those in as well - although it is the password change that allows the user to get in to Moodle.

For what it's worth I cannot see a way to push a message on screen to each user as a password change prompt (force user to change password on next login) and this would really help. However we are working on a script that utilises the aMember API to see if we can step through the records one at a time and rewrite the same password (hash) back to the user record. If we get that finished any time soon I'll post it here for you to use.

If you are feeling up to it, and you don't have a lot of users, you can effect the same thing by editing the record in the CP... simply add a piece of text to any field, then save it, then remove it again... the user should then be able to log in. With thousands of users, however, this would be an instant case of RSI for someone... but the user will never know there was an issue!
  10. cambridge

cambridge New Member

thanks for sharing your insights halmaclean. We are on 2.8 after migrating from 1.5 so we will get comfortable with 2.8 for a while. it's great to know someone is successfully using aMember with 3.1.1.
  11. impact

impact aMember Pro Customer

Hi everyone - I'm wondering if anyone is in a generous mood and would be willing to point me in the right direction :) I am trying to use Moodle 3.1.3 and Amember and although everything appears to be connected, new users created on Amember are not appearing in Moodle.

I have used Moodle 1.9 and Amember for over a decade and am trying to upgrade but cannot seem too find any updated documentation. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what has worked for you?

Thanks all and happy 2017 :)
  12. cambridge

cambridge New Member

Have you tried Rebuild DB in the Utilities tab and then clicking the "Rebuild Moodle Database" button?
  13. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

I suggest to check integration settings for moodle
    aMember CP -> Protect Content -> Integrations

Did you include new products to 'Access Permission' settings for moodle access?

Best Regards.
  14. halmaclean

Just to follow up, we managed to get the aMember/Moodle 3+ system working just fine - it took a bit of doing (we basically started again) and it worked as planned. I'm currently running several different installations based on Moodle 3.1.1 and in the next month will be setting up Moodle 3.2 with aMember. I am happy to report it *does* work - if you're using earlier versions of Moodle and wonder whether to upgrade, the answer is you can... it all still works.
    caesar likes this.
  15. halmaclean

Did you add the aMember login block to Moodle? Don't need to use it, but make sure it's in there.
  16. zee_a

zee_a New Member

Hey guys, glad to see you using moodle with amember.

Unfortunately for me, it's been weeks since I have tried to integrate but failed miserably.

The most recent integration attempt of moodle 3.2 with amember pro 5.4.3.

While I believe that I have done every single suggestion as in earlier discussions, something puzzles me still..

I have amember pro installed with 276 or so users

I have managed to do as instructed and rebuild db for my moodle installation: adding amember plugin, amember login block on moodle, cookie path set, added login block to front page in moodle..etc

1. But when in moodle, if I were to go to Site Administration | Users | Browse List of Users, strangely I can see only some users, that wasn't there before, imported from my amember pro installation (7 to be exact)..It beats me trying to figure it out as to why only 7 users out 276 imported?

2. When I tried logging into moodle using default moodle login with the users password from amember, it logged in successfully in moodle. But it did not log into amember.

3. I also tried logging using the amember login block on frontpage, but the page just refreshed and while it still didn't login to moodle it logged into amember...
    I have tried on these moodle versions: 2.7, 3.2, 3.4 and all returned the exact same issues.
    I know this is an old thread but any help would be great on this.

Thanks in advanced.

-Zee
  17. rviyengar

rviyengar New Member

Where are th 276 members, in moodle database or amember database? Existing moodle members are not copied to amember. If you need all your moodle users to go through amember, then you need to add them in amember database with some default password and ask users to login in and change them. Also you need to change all users in mdl_users table to authenticate through amember.

-venkatesan