Will there be a new version available soon?

Discussion in 'Free Talk for Website Owners and Webmasters' started by anybody99, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anybody99

anybody99 New Member

I have purchased amember.

The reason I bought it is because it's the most popular one and the most supported one, however, it's a bit outdated, and the feeling you get from using it, is that it's a 2001 piece of software.

I don't know about the code, how good it is written, however, just from looking at the admin panel I can say it's pretty terrible and clearly do not reflect 2010 standards. I will not be surprised if you get new competition coming up [cut][/cut]

Membership script isn't something that complex, and yet we paid $200+ for something that isn't that right - probably because of lake of motivation and no competition in your area.

In the admin panel there is no sorting options, no ajax options, nothing that can clearly say that this is an up to date piece of software with a good care.

Sure, we might be able to re-design the admin panel, but will that give us the new rebust technology as in 2011 standards, and why this is our duty to do that, while it clearly should be yours.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

anybody99,
    We are working on aMember 4 right now. It was completly reworked, and have a lot of new good features to follow 2011 standarts. Beta of aMember 4 will be available this spring.
  3. arthy

arthy aMember Pro Customer

wowe, good news :) will we have to purchase a new product ? or will this be part of the typical upgrade price (40USD for 6 months)?

Hope all existing features of amember will remain available. and hopefully it will be a smooth upgrade... cant wait
  4. arthy

arthy aMember Pro Customer

and btw, i have yet to see something that can take down amember. Been using it for 5 years.

Their support is outstanding, i have purchased many scripts on the net, but amember really knows how to treat its customers.

in terms of security they are very fast in responding to any security holes that might occur during an upgrade. which i find very important.

amember is very flexible and can many features, yes it lacks on some stuff and there are expensive plugins out there. Which should be available as default by amember. But again i have yet to see a simple and yet so powerful script as amember. Took me no time to learn its system. am very glad for their service and product. and hopefully this amember 4 will be packed with good features :)
  5. anybody99

anybody99 New Member

Well lets just wait and see, that means a beta within 3 months time? You can include me to test the beta. Will it use smarty templates?
  6. alexander

Yes.

Sure all current features will be available.
  7. alexander

Yes.

We will anounce it on the forum.
    In regards to smarty, it will not be used anymore.
  8. booforum

booforum Member

Any news with when aMember 4 might be launching?
  9. booforum

booforum Member

Any news with when aMember 4 might be launching?
  10. alexander

I can't provide exact date. But beta will be available this spring.
  11. chrome62

chrome62 Member

You'll have to curb my enthusiasm, but I've been seeing this "new version" promise for years. I'll guess a new version will be ready in at least 5 more years.
  12. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

@chrome62: While if you check the old posts you can see I often share your skepticism, I have actually *seen* an alpha of the new version (like actually logged in to admin / front end.) recently. It is very real.

From what I saw, I'm very excited about the future of aMember and the community. Seriously great stuff coming very soon.
  13. kcarey

kcarey Member

Will there be any more updates to 3.2.x before the new version? Will there be a migration option from 3.1.x to 4?

Thanks!
  14. alexander

Yes there will be a migration option from v3 to v4 .Yes there will be upgrades but I can't provide any timeframe we are busy with v4 beta.
  15. chrome62

chrome62 Member

@skippy - well that's good to hear. I do understand the need to avoid posting deadlines and time frames, so I'll just hold on to my water until I see a alpha, or beta release. I offered to do some beta testing because I've been using AM for many years. That was quite some time ago. Keep up the good work Alex.
  16. anybody99

anybody99 New Member

any updates on this one? i'll be happy to test out any sort of beta at this stage.
  17. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

I just PM'ed about, please have a look.
  18. anybody99

anybody99 New Member

well it looks very promising i must admit. few improvements here and there and it could be very much premium and high-end.

in terms of design of admin all the high-end features are there but the design itself I believe can be improved. I haven't tested it for bugs yet but soon will.

personaly i wouldn't use myself the ticket system you have integrated and I would use forum for my purpose but some people might find it useful.

so to conclude, i like it and if i had a chance i would switch to it because you said you wont be using smarty anymore and i was just about to code my site for smarty so eventually it would be a waste of time. its much better then am3 obviously.
  19. dharmainternet

dharmainternet New Member

Can I have a look?

I am an aMember Pro user and am very interested to see how the new version is coming along. I'd be happy to offer any insight and do some testing as well.

I do have the following questions/concerns:
    1. how will the new version affect my Moodle integration?
    2. Will there be additional reporting features? I would love to see some income forecasting reports.

BTW, our subscriber base is growing. Can aMember easily handle 10,000 monthly subscribers?

Thanks for such a great product. It is first-class in functionality and nothing compares.
  20. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Yes there are new reporting features. Can you elaborate on what you would want to see in an income forecasting report?

I have over 10,000 monthly subscribers on aMember without issue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.