Facebook Connect Plugin for aMember now available

Discussion in '3rd Party Service Providers' started by robw, Jun 10, 2010.

1. sandrawest123

sandrawest123 New Member

Hi this is interesting. I'll make sure to try by my self. thanks for the info.
  2. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

After conversations with Alex today, I have agreed to contribute my Facebook Connect plugin to the upcoming version 4 of aMember as a standard option.

This will help ensure that aMember remains the gold standard for membership software, and recognises the growing importance of Facebook to the success of membership sites.

It will remain on sale as an optional plugin for people remaining on version 3.x

http://www.amemfblogin.com/

Cheers
    Rob
    mikhailjb likes this.
  3. skippybosco

skippybosco CGI-Central Partner Staff Member

Thanks on behalf of the aMember community Rob. Amazing products followed up with Amazing support!
  4. infoasis1

infoasis1 New Member

what do you mean "standard option"? will it come free with Amember 4 or needs to be purchased then integrated with Amember seamlessly?

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Yes, it will come free with v4.
  6. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

I've just released version 1.6 of the aMember Facebook plugin - this update is free to previous customers so just use the link in your receipt email to download.

This new version is a major update - Facebook have changed their authentication API so you will need this update to continue using the plugin
    • Plugin rewritten to latest Facebook PHP API
    • Removed need for Facebook Javascript API
    • Auto-button install (v3.2.3+) works with multiple forms on signup page

Cheers
    Rob
  7. rrockstar

rrockstar New Member

Unrelated but couldn't find you real name or email: do you know anyone who does freelance aMember support by the hour? I had been working with Ken Gary but he has moved on to other work.
  8. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Rrockstar - sorry, I don't have a recommendation, maybe SkippyBosco knows someone, or perhaps you can get Alex and team to do some custom stuff for you?

Cheers
    Rob

Ps - I primarily concentrate my time on my own projects (the plugins I sell are a spinoff from my own project needs), so it's a rare occasion when I divert my time onto freelance jobs. :)
  9. mdmr_llc

mdmr_llc aMember Pro Customer

Rob,

My server's HD crashed yesterday. It was replaced and the server reprovisioned. I am in a process of re-installing all my sites. One was using your OpenID and FB pluging. I have the files, but don't have the setup instructions. Once I copy the plugins files into amember/plugins/protect my site goes blank. Are there any permissions that I am missing or need to set? Were there files in other directories?

Would appreciate your insight.
  10. mdmr_llc

Never mind. I think IO figured it out. My PHP is below 5.2.0. Need to upgrade...
  11. mdmr_llc

OK, I'm back. As it turns out after upgrading the PHP, the earlier problem went away but now my CRON throws an error:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'Exception' with message 'Facebook needs the JSON PHP extension.' in /home/mydomain/public_
    html/amember/plugins/protect/fb_connect/facebook.php:7

I tried turning off FB pluging but it causes more problems. All my labels are not showing as test but rather as variable names...

Any suggestions on what am I missing? I can't have amember without working cron running.
    Thanks
  12. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

It seems you need to ask your webhosting provider to enable JSON PHP extension. It is enabled by default, not sure why they decide to disable it!
  13. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

I've just released version 1.7 of the aMember v3 Facebook plugin - this update is free to previous customers so just use the link in your receipt email to download.

This new version is a minor update:

• Facebook SDK updated to latest version
    • Facebook forced logout updated to prevent loops if Facebook logout fails for any reason

Cheers
    Rob
  14. glrfcentral

glrfcentral New Member

Hi Rob,
    I just uploaded the version 1.7 to our aMember installation. I have double and triple checked that the files were uploaded to the fb_connect folder, and that the file sizes match.

I have a facebook test profile 'connected' to our test member profile.

I logged into facebook and then attempted to login to one of our amember protected pages. No luck. It still asks for my id and password as if the facebook connect plugin did not exist, on the standard aMember login page. Maybe I am not understanding how the connect plugin works ... I then tried clicking on the
    Facebook Connect button on the aMember login page and ta da, I was logged in.

I thought this was seamless, meaning that if I am logged in to Facebook, I could click on any aMember protected folder/bookmark in my browser favorites bar and shazam, I would be seamlessly logged in. No?

Also, I may not have completed the initial steps when I initially made the Facebook Connect bridge with my test member profile awhile ago. Was I supposed to click on that Facebook Connect button the first time after I established the the bridge with Facebook? Or is this clicking on the Facebook Connect button required to set a cookie each time, on a separate computer?

The reason I am asking all these questions is I want to know what my members are experiencing.

Any ideas? I cleared the cache.

Thanks,

Brian

amember installation: 3.2.3
    php file on host: 5.2.17
    curl and json are visible in the php file information
    the facebook connect number is in the field in the acp for the test member
    browser used for test: Chrome version 17.0.963.79
  15. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Brian

Yes, that's right. In the new version, even if you are logged in to Facebook, you still need to hit the connect button on your site to login - this gives more reassurance to members that their account is 'secure' until they choose to login.

Cheers
    Rob
  16. kirk_yedinak

kirk_yedinak New Member

Rob,

When I click on the Facebook "Send" icon, the dialog box pops up properly, however, that box is too large for my page. It doesn't seem to fix very well in the right column. Currently that Facebook block is above the useful links block, in the am-coll-right. If I attempt to use the send feature now, the right side and bottom of the dialog are obscured by other page content. Basically the size of the div "am-layout-two-col1" is confining the dialog. Hope that makes sense.

Is it possible to style that Facebook dialog? Any other suggestions on how to make it fit properly in that column?

Thanks,
    Kirk
  17. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Kirk,

I don't recall there being a Send button in the plugin, so not quite sure what you are referring to.

If you are talking about Facebook's Combined Like and Send Button social plugin, then my only experience of it is that the width parameter is generally broken and you can't set anything other than 450 otherwise the send box half disappears.

You should be able to inspect the box 'on the fly' with something like FireBug or Safari and see if you can add some CSS to overcome the behaviour.

Cheers
    Rob
  18. kirk_yedinak

kirk_yedinak New Member

Rob,

Thanks for getting back with me. You are correct in the fact that I was
    talking about Facebook's Combined Like and Send Button social plugin. I looked at the dialog styling and I believe it is coming from Facebook. So, I'd have a better change at placing that plugin at a different place on the page. At present it is in the right column of the member's Main Page. Do you know if it's possible to move it to a point on the page that is outside the two columns, perhaps where the dialog could use the entire width of the page?​

Thanks again,​
    Kirk​
  19. kirk_yedinak

kirk_yedinak New Member

Rob,

I figured out a solution. I moved the placement of the plugin to the top of the Main Page by changing the following code in the facebook.php file from:

PHP:
            if ($this->getConfig('like'))

$blocks->add(
                    new 
    Am_Block('member/main/right/top'null'fb-like'$this'fb-like.phtml')
                );
    Change it to:

PHP:
            if ($this->getConfig('like'))

$blocks->add(
                    new 
    Am_Block('member/main/top'null'fb-like'$this'fb-like.phtml')
                );
  20. robw

robw CGI-Central Partner

Hi Kirk,

Your code snippet tells me you are using the aMember 4 version - which is part of the core aMember code maintained by Alex and team now. My plugin is a 'stopgap' for people still on v3.

Cheers
    Rob