Help with Caching Issue

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.4' started by kellye, Jul 5, 2013.

1. kellye

kellye New Member

I've seen posts in the forums that confirm what I found out the hard way: caching plugins and aMember don't go well together. In one thread, it's suggested that we exclude aMember files/pages within WP Super Cache (my preferred plugin) -- http://www.amember.com/forum/thread...member-pro-4-x-to-misbehave.14025/#post-63257 -- but I'm not clear on how we'd do that.

Would we have to exclude each new protected blog post manually, or is there another way to handle? I'm not super technical, so advice is appreciated - thanks!
  2. sheila_r

sheila_r aMember Pro Customer

I would also like to know the answer for how to utilize aMember with WordPress caching plugins.
  3. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Simple - use a caching plugin that won't cause you problems like that.

Like W3 Total Cache (http://wordpress.org/plugins/w3-total-cache/)

I've had that set up on at least a dozen different client sites so far, in a few different configurations, and not a single one has had any issues (that couldn't be resolved by a quick re-config or something).

And if you have your own VPS or dedicated server with Apache/Memcache, you're laughing. I have seen improvement on my clients' sites to the point where a 1MB homepage would load in less than 2 seconds under heavy traffic as well.
  4. sheila_r

To those of you using W3 Total Cache with aMember.... are you able to use it with Browser Cache enabled? If so, how did you get it to work properly with aMember?

I configured the Page Cache to exclude the aMember directory, which allows Page Caching to be used on the website. However, I cannot figure out what settings to change in Browser Cache in order to utilize that functionality with aMember.

Any advice would be appreciated, since the Browser caching makes a big speed difference on my site.
  5. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

I haven't noticed any problems on my client sites with Browser Caching enabled with default settings on. What issues are you running into?
  6. sheila_r

Hi Miso. Thanks for the reply. Here are the steps that cause the problem when I have Browser Caching enabled...
    1. Click around on a few different pages/posts on the website (prior to logging in via amember widget)
    2. Proceed with logging in via aMember widget
    3. Now that I am logged in, I revisit the pages/posts that I previously clicked in step 1.
    4. Those pages that were previously visited will show the login widget as being empty (i.e., asking for me to enter my username and password again). Hitting F5 resolves the problem, but I have to do that on each page that was previously visited prior to logging in (otherwise it continues to show me as not being logged in on those specific pages).
    5. This only happens for the pages that I previously visited prior to logging in. Any new pages that I visit will continue to show me logged in.
    As an update: I played around with the settings and am now able to keep Browser Caching enabled, so long as I uncheck the boxes that are listed under HTML & XML.

What specific settings do you enable/disable when using W3 Total Cache with your clients?
  7. jfoulquier

jfoulquier New Member

+1 for the question :)