Video Protection Overview
The aMember program includes the free version of FlowPlayer which is used for audio and video playback. A user can optionally purchase the commercial license which allows for removal of the FlowPlayer branding and other advanced features. The current aMember video protection feature is based on the video files being uploaded to the site's server or to Amazon S3 storage.
License Flowplayer on Your Site
A full copy of FlowPlayer is included in the aMember installation. To use FlowPlayer you have to enter the license (free version) provided by aMember.
Retrieve your FlowPlayer license by logging into your Member Area of aMember.com. A link to your FlowPlayer license key is towards the bottom of the Main Page as shown in the image below. When you click on this link a window pops open that contains the license key. Copy this license to your clipboard.
Then from the aMember admin control panel go to Setup/Configuration -> Global and paste in the FlowPlayer License Key in the box as shown in the image below.
To set up the default settings for the video player follow theses steps:
- From the aMember admin control panel, click on Setup/Configuration from the left menu panel.
- Click on video in the top menu panel
- Configure the following settings. Also note that you can change these settings on a per video basis in the Protect Content settings.
- Default Width/Default Height -
- Auto Play -
- Auto Buffering -
- Buffer Length -
- Scaling -
- Be sure and click on "Save" to record these values.
To upload a video file to the site's server and add protection to it follow these steps:
- Click on the "Products" bar in the left menu
- Click on the "Product Content" menu button
- Click on the "Video" button in the top menu bar
- Click on the "New Record" button as show in the image below
A form like the one shown below will then open up.
To add a file with protection follow these steps:
- Video File - Upload a video from your local computer by using the file upload feature -or-
- Video File - Browse to a video that already exists on the server using the file browser feature.
- Title - Add a title/name to the video.
- Description - Enter a short description of the video here.
- Hide - By default, links to protected video's are listed in the Member's Area. If you do not want the link shown in the Member's area, check this box.
- Access Permissions - Click on "Please select an item..." drop down menu to assign a membership product or category to the video.
- Save - Always finish by clicking on the "Save" button.
- After clicking on the "Please select an item..." drop down menu, the menu will open up to display all previously defined membership products and categories.
- Choose from the listed products or categories. After you make a choice, you can reopen the drop down menu and make additional choices.
After a product, or category is picked, it will be displayed as shown in the image below.
- You can delete a membership product, or category, by clicking on the "X".
- By default, access to the video will start as defined in the Product setup configuration.
- By default, access to the video will expire as defined in the Product setup configuration.
- Always click on "Save" after making any changes on this page.
Note that the "start" and "expiration" days can be configured to provide video access in an incremental fashion. For more information on setting up incremental content delivery, see this page.
After the video configuration page is saved. The video will be shown on the Video List Page as shown in the image below.
- Link - This is the link to use for the protected video. Hover over the link and click the right mouse button. From the contextual menu choose "Copy link address".
- Edit - Click on this icon to edit the settings for the protected video.
- Delete - Click on this icon to delete the video from the protected area.
To use the embed code, follow these steps:
- A box will open up and provide embed code for the video.
- The width can be defined here.
- The height can be defined here. Note that you do not need to define height since the player will establish the height based on the width and the video's aspect ratio.
- Highlight all the text, right click the mouse and copy all the code to your computer's clipboard.
- Pate the embed code into a webpage.