Softsale HTTP API?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by BigDaddy, Feb 2, 2016.

1. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

I run a site using aMember 3.4.x and need to upgrade to version 4. The reason I use aMember is for software licensing. From within my software, when I want to check a license, I simply call a URL with username and password parameters and see if the page loads. If not, then the username does not have an account and software stays locked.
    I asked a question in another forum post about using aMember 4 to do something similar, and was told about Softsale. I've looked at the page, and see that I need to use the http api since my software is a compiled windows EXE.
    Software seems like it would work great, but my question is about what happens when I install aMember 4 and softsale on my server. All of my customers will be imported (I'll be using aMember support to install and import data) from aMember 3, where they do not have a license key generated by SoftSale.
    What would I need to do to get my customers a valid license key?

Would Softsale automatically generate keys for all of my old customers that i could email to them through aMember?

Are there any other problems I am likely to face? I just want to get my head around what will be involved before I start this process.

thanks

Andy Williams
  2. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Can noone answer my questions? I really need to make the switch, but need to know the obstacles I'm going to face in converting existing customers of my software over to a new server and new verification method.
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Actually it is not necessary to have soft sale module if you already set up everything without it. You can just upgrade aMemeber to latest version. We will be happy to help you to make script that you can send email and password to as early. So it will be backward compatible. Please contact us in helpdesk (https://www.amember.com/support). We try to find some good solution for you.
  4. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Caesar
    How so? I was told previously that version 4 cannot do this.

I need to be able to call the aMember script somehow to check that a user is a valid customer of my software. As described above, I previously did this by trying to load a protected members page from within my software. If it loads, the customer is true, if not, then false. If there is another way of doing this, especially without the Soft Sale plugin, I would like to know.

How can I do this with aMember v4?
  5. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

It is not possible by default because aMember 4 do not allow to authenticate user by GET request. It is possible to implement simple plugin that will allow you to use same approach in version 4 as you had in version 3.
  6. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Member

Thanks Caesar
    I have opened this up as a support ticket and seen that it's been answered, so I'll continue this conversation in the support ticket. Many thanks!