Questions from newbie

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by ptravis, Nov 29, 2011.

1. ptravis

ptravis New Member

Hi

I'm looking forward to buying AMember soon and I'm trying to work out what I need to do when I'm lucky enough to have it installed.

Question: Could someone tell me what the difference is between new rewrite and htpasswd as a protection method. I understand the concept of protecting folders etc but I'm no expert and would be interested to know why I should choose one method over the other.

If it helps/is important, I plan to have several products available for subscription. Some will be available for 3, 6 or 12 months subscription, others will be fixed a 3 months. And subscribers will have the option of signing up for more than one product either at initial purchase point or at a later date. We currently use Securetrading as our payment processor and will hopefully be able to continue using the same with AMember . We won't be doing recurring billing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Use new rewrite. If you use htpasswd they will have to log in again to get to the content.

htpasswd is used when you need a special type of access, eg protected podcasts.
    A little complicated to explain- you can do a google search to find out more about htpasswd.

Simple answer- use new rewrite.

David
  3. ptravis

ptravis New Member

Thanks David. I did a little research and I see that new rewrite makes use of cookies to avoid the user having to login again. Presumably if the user's system doesn't allow cookies they are simply asked to login as normal. You mention podcasts. Is there a restriction on the types of files new rewrite can protect?

Pete
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

new_rewrite works using cookies, and Flash video players are known to do not take cookies from browser.

Or, another good example, RSS readers are unable to read protected audio files (podcasts), because they cannot fill-in HTML login form.