Paypal language in Dutch

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by edynas, Jun 10, 2009.

1. edynas

edynas New Member

Hi,

I have set the language of the paypal plugin to en but for about 50% of the testers it shows up in my language which is dutch.

I have this problem always when I create a button at paypal and need to set the language override. It seems that the settngs are not picking the language variable up. I looked at paypal_r_inc.php and have hardcoded the lc variable to say lc = 'us' but still no luck.

Any ideas?
    In the past I ask (begged) Paypal to set my default language to english but it's not possible. So i depend on a working override of the language.
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

When you redirected to paypal for payment is this variable "lc" included in url?
    Also, try to specify "US" instead of "us"

Here is how paypal handle it:
    lc
    Optional
    The language of the login or sign-up page that subscribers see when they click the Subscribe button. If unspecified, the language is determined by a PayPal cookie in the subscriber’s browser. If there is no PayPal cookie, the default language is U.S. English.

For allowable values, see Country Codes.
    https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?...ontent_ID=developer/e_howto_html_countrycodes
  3. edynas

edynas New Member

4. erwinvdb

erwinvdb aMember Pro Customer

PayPal now uses country codes instead of language codes. Which is basically a false assumption by PayPal. It is often made by developers. In lots of countries two or more languages are spoken. Some countries even have two or more official languages!

Next to having two or more official languages in a country there's another problem that PayPal didn't take into account: people who don't speak the official language of the country they are in (like US/UK expats in Amsterdam, refugees, etc.).

Before, the lc used to be language codes so setting the English language would be done by putting lc=en. Now to set it to English just use lc=US for US residents or lc=GB for people from the United Kingdom (see Alex' link for the country codes).

But I've discovered that lc= does indeed still set the language locale, but only for transactions where the buyer's country= parameter is not set, as the latter appears to override lc= with whatever lc PayPal thinks is the appropriate default lc for the buyer's country.

I hope this helps.
  5. amstrading

amstrading New Member

Has this been fixed or is there a workaround available? I am still running into the same problem atm..
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Could you provide more info, what problem do you have?