Multiple membership - one signup

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by melne, Apr 27, 2009.

1. melne

melne New Member

Our bike club has restructured its dues pricing and wants to offer a "Family Membership," which, for one price, all people in the family receive a membership.
    Such as:
    Joe Smith pays for a membership, but he also will be enrolling his wife, Mary, and son Bob.

Joe pays his fee, receives his username/password and access, as normal.
    How do I get Mary and Bob into the user list?

I'm thinking it will have to be done manually. Any suggestions?

thanks!
    melne
  2. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi melne,

You can try using aMember CP > Add Fields, where you can add additional fields to the profile.

Lee
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

What I think you are looking for is the ability to allow groups or clubs to signup and then give out memberships to their members. Nothing like that is available yet, unless you want to issue some coupons that you could give.

I think Ken at Kencinnus is working on a plugin to do clubs, or may even already have a hack that does it. Give him an email.

David
  4. nc3man

nc3man aMember Pro Customer

This is an old thread, but I would like a variation on this concept of Family Membership. We already DO add custom fields to capture family members. However, we would like each family member to physically signup and renew annually, primarily because we have a user agreement which needs to be accepted annually. It is easy to add a free "Additional Family Member" subscription and ask all family members to sign up that way, with the proviso that ONE member of the family have the PAID membership. What we are really looking for, though, is a "relation" in the database so that the free membership inherits the payment, has its own user agreement per additional family member and that the PAID (parent) Family Membership shows all the free additional family members in a child relation. Has anyone every requested this? Is there a customization available? We ask this, because open source software like CiviCRM has such relationships available, although for simple membership management that aMember does so well, CiviCRM is way too much machinery as a full-featured CRM.
  5. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

6. nc3man

Thanks, @caesar . We already have the customization where the User Agreement is accepted on every renewal (and stored with the invoice). Thanks for the information on Subusers. I missed that as I was not expecting to find the parent/child relation as an added feature of a reseller product. How does the parent notify the Subuser to signup? (in our case, it is a family member). Is there an additional form similar to the current signup/renewal form that gets configured just for that purpose? And on that form, can we also have a User Agreement? For every renewal of the parent, we also want the subuser to also have to deal with a "renewal" form to make sure the User Agreement gets accepted each year. Is it possible to test the Subuser addon for a trial period (say 30 days) to see if it does the job?
  7. nc3man

I would like to follow this up by giving a very positive endorsement of the Subusers module to provide the concept of an inherited Family Membership for our bike club. This would also work for any "Organizational" membership with a primary member who signs up and renews and then provides "free" membership to members of an organization. I might add that CGI Support provided several customizations to do EVERYTHING that we wanted. The primary customizations were to:
    1. When adding a new family member (subuser) to a family membership (reseller package), if that new family member already has a user record in the database, they receive an invitation to "join the family," because they already have a username and password. For a brand new user, they are assigned a username, concatenation of first+last name (another customization) and a randomly generated password.
    2. The primary customization, though, was to force added family members to sign a User Agreement, not only when they are first added into the family, but annually when the primary family member renews.
    3. Finally, the "Manage Family" (Manage Subusers) grid for a logged in primary family member (reseller) was made to be more useful and intuitive for our use case. The primary member can easily see whether the additional family members have accepted the agreement or not and remind them to do that. This is a legal requirement for our club. See the attached screenshot to see how this looks. Note the Agreement column in the screenshot.
    For the most part, the special customizations were added to our local site.php, although some of the features were deemed generic enough to be added to the Subusers core.

Many thanks to CGI Support, Andrey Yerokhin in particular, for this addition for our club.
    Karl Rudnick, North County Cycle Club of San Diego

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018