Installation on windows hosting

Discussion in 'Installation' started by alexc, Nov 26, 2015.

1. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi,

I have windows hosting plan with hostforlife.eu. Now, I want to install amember product on their windows hosting environment. Have anyone try to install it on windows hosting environment? Because I only found tutorial about to install it on linux server.

Thank you
  2. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Have you checked that PHP works OK? If it does you should be able to install it no worries.
  3. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi jenolan,

Thank you for your response and I'm really appreciate it. Of course my hosting provider support both asp.net and PHP. What obstacles can I find when installing this CMS? Do you have any tutorial? Or I just need to extract the files to my root folder and it will automatically work?

Thank you
  4. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Well that's a open question ;-)

Create a mySQL DB, jot down the username/password. Upload aMember to the directory you want it in under the web root (eg /webRoot/amember) and away you should go.

One thing with windows is the need for apache .htaccess style rules, most reasonable hosts now install a widget that handles that, you will need it if you decide to use some of the older style protection methods (basic auth). Your own pages, wordpress etc so long as they work without aMember should be quite happy with it.
  5. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi Jenolan,

Thank you for your response. Upon checking further with hostforlife.eu team, they use Windows IIS server. They dont use Apache on their windows environment. So, how can I install it on IIS server?

Thank you
  6. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

Tell you host that you want to use .htaccess rules ... google "htaccess under iis" and you will see that there are oodles of add-ons to allow this. Otherwise, unless you are running ASP related stuff go to a linux vps like KnownHost and experience the light side of the force.
  7. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi jenolan,

Hmm... As I know .htaccess only works on linux hosting. I use windows hosting here, my hosting provider doesnt support .htaccess. I'm not thinking to migrate my site as I'm very comfortable with them, they have great support and I can host both ASP.NET site and PHP with them. I never think to leave them.
  8. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

That is NOT correct, any IIS system can have the htaccess emulator installed which provides full rewrite(et al) processing. Sure you have to purchase it and install it but it is eminently doable.
  9. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi jenolan,

I will ask this with my hosting provider. My hosting provider support URL rewrite, but I don't know whether they offer .htaccess on windows or not.
  10. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

If you google "iis htaccess" there are loads of pointers, I used one on an old Windows Server edition but been years since I have had to mess with Windoze at all ;-)

Larry
  11. alexc

alexc New Member

Hi jenolan,

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. Hostforlife.eu still checking my inquiry.

Once again, thank you very much.