Disable user access without deleting user

Discussion in 'aMember Pro v.3' started by janea, Feb 27, 2013.

1. janea

janea aMember Pro Customer

Hi, I would like to know how you would disable a user from being able to access their account without actually deleting the user from the system? I have a user who has signed up & paid for service, used some of the services, then immediately violated our terms of service repeatedly. Can I disable his account without actually deleting the user from the database?

Thanks,
    Jim Leeth
    Dramanotebook Webmaster
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Create a new product called refund or banned. The set the system not to allow orders from members with this product. You can also 'lock' out the user.

David
  3. janea

How would you 'lock' the user out? I have amember pro v3.2.3.

Thanks,
    Jim Leeth
    Dramanotebook Webmaster
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

under the users account "Locked
    auto-locking by IP"
    David
  5. janea

So one of the violations was that the user accessed the membership by more than 5 IP addresses in the last 30 days. The owner wants to be sure people are not sharing their user login information to others, which would violate the terms of service (multiple computers accessing in a short amount of time usually means others gaining access to the site and content that have not paid for it). So if this locks by IP address, does that mean the user can just access by another IP address?

Additionally, lets say this actually locks down an IP address, what if there are others within the same network (like a school, which is what this is geared to) and that network has 1 external IP address...would ALL users with that IP address be blocked? Or just the one?

Thanks David, you are such a wonderful help on these forums!!

Jim
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Jim,
    Full account will be locked and not an IP address.
    So if aMember see that someone login from many different IP addresses within short time period, it will lock account. So next time user will be unable to login and this doesn't matter from what IP he will try to login .
  7. janea

Thank you Alex. I am a bit confused though. How do I set it up so that if the IP address violation occurs they will be automatically locked? Can you step me through it?

Jim
  8. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

This should work by default.
    Settings can be found in aMember CP -> Setup -> Login page -> Account Sharing Prevention