Digital Downloads for active members, viewed by all

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by jeng empowerall, May 15, 2013.

1. jeng empowerall

jeng empowerall New Member

I want to display digital downloads on my site to all viewers, but it should only be downloadable to active members. The products is free for downloading by active members. How do I go about it? Where should I upload it - in wordpress or amember?, etc.
  2. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

Assuming you are trying to display a link to a protected file to everybody, but only downloads the file to active members you can do it this way, which is covered in detail in the support documentation.
    • Go to Protect Content and protect the file to only be available to logged in user.
    • Copy the link provided by this utility to paste on a WordPress page.
    • The link will be visible to all, but only downloads the file to those that are logged in.
    Actually neither one. It is best to upload the files to a folder outside of WordPress and aMember. The best solution, if you are dealing with any significant amount of files is to use the Amazon S3 service.
  3. jeng empowerall

Thank you so much, Grant, you've helped me a whole lot!!! That's a great idea (the Amazon idea)!!! Because I've already got more than 300 products (ranging between 15-35 mb) to upload.
    Thanks, everything was very helpful! I'm really impress with Amember!
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

You can also go to the amember protect content and create a link active for all, but put the file itself in a protected folder, and they wont be able to download it.

But i prefer putting a non link in a wordpress post, and using am4show tags with the 'premium members' next to it. using another set of am4show, the real link would be shown to active premium members.
    Using the am4show tags you can selectively tease non-members.

David
  5. jeng empowerall

Thank you, David, appreciate it. Will check it out!
  6. test test

test test New Member

Hi everybody

I know that some long time elapsed from this post, But I have related questions and would be grateful if someone can help me.

I use gswaim's solution in my website:

But I necessarily need to log the size and number of files downloaded by user, in fact I want to create a download history for each user.

how can I do this? I know that it need a table in database or at least a field in users table But how to account for downloaded files?

Thanks in advance