Customization-ban User From Re-registration

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by tomarriola, Jul 1, 2003.

1. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

Alex, I'd like to hire you for some customization.

I have a few members that need to be banned from re-registering after we cancel their account. They just create a new email address and sign up again.

I wonder if a cookie can be set on their computer that would identify that computer as banned and that any acccess from the computer, regardless of the id, will be denied.

This solution would mean we would have to require cookies and thats fine. Can you do this or do you have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Tom
    realcrimes.com
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Cookies will not help here - this guy just clear all cookies and he will be allowed to signup again.

aMember does support banning by email, IP address and username. Possible it may help.
  3. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

I think most folks won't know to delete the cookie. And my present bad person is older and less tech-able. I'm sure this would keep her away. She uses a dialup acct from AOl and a IP address ban will have little effect on her and impact innocent AOL users.

Can you implement the ban stored in a cookie? We're desperate to keep this bad actor away.

Tom
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

We have another idea to implement banning, but we cannot promise it soon.

BTW, which payment systems are you using?
  5. ForeverUAE

ForeverUAE Guest

when you say banning, i think of email, cookies,user names, ip address, but what if you ban someone using the computer name, yes the computer name if you dont know what is a computer name then from your disktop, right click on My computer then clickon properties then look under Registered to.

tell me how many people would now that there are banned using a computer name? and how many know how to change it.

the question now is, is it possible to code it? maybe i dont know dont ask me, i only though of it. ;)
  6. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

Alex, we're using the pro version and have no fee, so no payment.

Heck, if we were charging I wouldn't mind banning someone, taking their $$ for a new membership, banning them again and taking more money for another membership...so on. :)

Tom

PS, We'd gladly pay for the customization.
  7. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

I'm sorry but I cannot take this work - I'm leaving for vacation on the next week.
    (Support will be working, so don't worry guys ;)
    Once I back, we can discuss this customization, ok?
  8. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

Have a nice vacation. I'll bring the topic up again on your return.
    Tom