Blocking bots after recaptcha added to login pages

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by mhalper2000, Jun 8, 2019.

1. mhalper2000

mhalper2000 aMember Pro Customer

Hello,

I had an issue where bots were creating accounts and I was able to resolve 98% by adding recaptcha to all of my login pages. I was impressed with how easy this was and how well it solved the problem.

But I still get this same type of bot getting in. I say same type because these bot accounts all look similar in that it is the same first name and last name.

I have checked on my forms editor and every form page with sign up has recaptch enabled.

So I am wondering where these are getting in. Is there some backdoor page with login/sign up that is not displayed on forms editor page?

Thanks for any help.
  2. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Hello,

What do you have as origin for such users (you can check it in edit user profile form)?

user-origin.png
  3. mhalper2000

mhalper2000 aMember Pro Customer

That is helpful, I did not think to look there. It says that they got in through our main sign up form, which has recaptcha and recaptcha stopped about 98% of these but still some getting in.

Any idea how a bot could get past recaptcha?

I banned the IP address from the bot, not sure if that will help if they are all coming from the same. They look similar in that they all have the same first name and last name and look like the are being produced from the same system.

Do you know if I ban a user's IP address and then delete that user, if the banned IP address remains in the database?
  4. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member