Workaround for new paypal processing requirements

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by johnp, Jun 5, 2016.

1. johnp

johnp New Member

Hi,
    Our current server does not meet the new paypal requirements and our server company says that they cannot upgrade the server to output SHA-256, etc (evn thugh our certificate are). This is a dedicated server so it is unbelievable that they will not bring the server up to commerce standards. In any case, I need a workaround until I migrate to a better company. Can I set the software to accept payment without going through paypal (we can process cards offline). Or, could I simply turn off the ipn connection to paypal as a way of bypassing the sch-256 requirement (since I believe the paypal requirement is all about ipn anyway).

Thank you,
    John
  2. swintec

swintec aMember Pro Customer

maybe they didnt say but why cant they get you upgraded? Is it a managed server or are you responsible for it? is it an outdated operating system? im not sure there is a way around this, or better put, a way around this for you as a responsible online business owner. Wouldnt paypal catch up with you quickly enough?

For what its worth, I had to make the jump and get my server upgraded back in January and it was a pain. I essentially needed a new server deployed and then all data migrated and sync'ed but this was due to needing a complete OS upgrade. Had a few freak out moments with missing data. Thank god for backups. Maybe this is what your provider knows they need to do but dont want too?

Honestly, if i were you, I would bite the bullet...get a new server going with whoever and then go offline for a few hours to get things migrated. Should be quite straight forward if you are running CPanel on both ends. Good luck.
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

You can temporary disable IPN verification. Obviously I do not recommend to do it. It is better to resolve issue with your server. I guess it is matter of some reasonable fee to upgrade your server especially if you use dedicated server.

You can do it in plugin configuration
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Setup/Configuration -> PayPal
  4. johnp

johnp New Member

Thanks caesar (and swintec) for your comments. I think the issue is that they are running an older version of centos and will not upgrade it. The server company was recently purchased by another firm which does not offer dedicated servers, so I think they are dissing the dedicated server customers hoping they will go away :) Which I guess I have no alternative but to do. The thought of migrating is just unnerving considering the amount of work. Anyway, thanks again.

PS. How will disabling ipn affect the software/membershsp function?
  5. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

Someone can send IPN to your url and get access for free since aMember will not be able to validate it with PayPal server.