WordPress Question -- How to Protect "Virtual" Folders Set Up Through Permalinks?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by gstrong, Feb 20, 2009.

1. gstrong

gstrong New Member

I am using WordPress as a CMS. Part of the website will be "public", while the other part will be "Members' Only".

Currently, I have a Members' Only page at: domainname.com/members-area/ with a number of sub-pages (which I also want restricted to members only...)

Is there an easy way to set up aMember to protect the /members-area page and all its child pages using the permalink configuration? If not, can I protect individual pages using aMember?

Or do I have to change my setup so that I protect a certain folder?

BTW, I am using WordPress 2.7 with the Thesis Theme. I am also using the phpBB forum software (if this makes a difference somehow...!)

Thanks!

~Graham
  2. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hi Gstrong,

Are you using Incremental Content plugin as well?

If so, you are able to protect your permalinks using The Bridge.

Lee
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Lee's "The Bridge" plugin should do what you want - protecting categories (virtual directories).

David
  4. gstrong

gstrong New Member

Thanks both,

Unfortunately, I need a solution that will work with pages, not posts. Seems that this whole theory of WP as a CMS still has a few holes in it -- ah well, if it were easy, the world wouldn't need us, would they...?

Thanks again,

~Graham
  5. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

To protect individual pages and posts- you can use the hidepost plugin. this is the technique I teach on my site.

David
  6. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Most of us use posts for content, and categories (WP's "virtual" folders) for organizing these content.

If you would like to reverse the order and use pages for content instead, you cannot have the "Virtual" folders that you mentioned in your forum title.

Lee