WordPress protect an entire sub-domain blog to paid members only

Discussion in 'Setting-up protection' started by anointed, Jan 22, 2013.

1. anointed

anointed New Member

Here is a response I got via email prior to purchasing amember, which I just purchased today.
    Here was my original email question. I am posting this so that you can refresh your memory and show me how I go about doing this...

Now that the initials are out of the way, what is the best way to accomplish this?

I am using WooCommerce as my shopping cart as it is absolutely the most advanced cart available for WordPress and now that it has had a full security audit by securi.com it doesn't get any better.

My entire concept is a customer will be selling many digital downloads, each one sold individually.

So a particular download would be something like 'SEO Strategies'.

A customer purchases that download via WooCommerce and should get instant access to the website http://seo.primary-domain.com

Any visitor who has not purchased that product should be shown a splash page saying that site is for members only and then direct them to the product purchase page.

I will be doing this for dozens and dozens of products. So in the end I could end up having a single WordPress install with hundreds of sub-domains.

*Many of the sub-domains are going to be using domain-mapping, so they can have their own unique url. I do this because the perceived value to the customer is greater as they believe they are getting access to an entirelly different special website with a separate name even.

So now that I am a proud owner of amember, how do I go about setting this up?

thanks everyone
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Well I don't think that aMember will work for you. Let me know if I'm wrong, as I have understood, you want to sell your products through WooCommerce store and use aMember only to protect access to different blogs in your Wordpress Network setup?
    aMember can protect blogs such way, but only if you will use aMember to handle registrations and payments.
    For your particular task I think this will be more easy to hire a coder who will create custom protection plugin which will restrict access in wordpress based on purchased products.
  3. anointed

anointed New Member

Somehow I knew this was going to happen to me again....

Yes, that is the idea. A user buys a plugin/theme from the store and amember adds the needed permissions for that user to access the corresponding support website for the product.

I try so hard to explain everything I need in the pre-sales emails, and this happens to me every time. It's not just amember, but other plugins as well. I actually thought I got it right this time and was so excited to finally hear back that it was possible. In fact, the only reason I even took on this job (it's a big one) was because I was told I could do this. Now I have a client out of the country until next Thursday, who I told I could get the job done after trusting the email and now I'm screwed...

Is there some type of 'trigger' I can set with woocommerce to tell amember that the person is a member?

I'm guessing that amember simply changes a users group affiliation when purchasing through amember. I mean it just has to be a field or two in the database right?
    *both for when active and not (expired support license, did not renew etc)

How about adding the logic for amember into the 'buy now' button of woocommerce?

I don't see any reason why, when a person purchases a product in woocommerce, that I can't populate the needed amember db fields so long as I know in advance what all I need to do.

Is this at least feasible?
  4. alexander

Hi,
    Unfortunately I'm unable to find your pre sales message in helpdesk (I guess it was sent from different email address), but if it was the same as quoted in your first message, then tech reply was correct. There was no mention about Woo Commerce.

The way you have suggested of course can be implemented as plugin to wordpress.
    Such plugin should add user and invoice to aMember when user complete payment, then aMember will add user to wordpress (into corresponding blog) and set correct access permissions.
    Also you'll need to install amember plugin into wordpress if you want to protect content inside blog.
    But in anyway you still have to use aMember to handle user's logins.
  5. anointed

anointed New Member

I copied the email verbatim so you are correct, it looks like I forgot to mention woocommerce. My mistake, I thought it was inferred from my prior emails Such is life.

Ok, I still need to find some type of solution as I only have a few days to finish this project off.

Is there any way we can get amember to act as a gateway for woocommerce then? I mean there are probably a hundred payment gateways already for woocomerce, so I am guessing it can't be that hard.

That way amameber would take care of all the payments and registrations just like all the other woocommerce gateways do and then we are golden.

I have purchased dozens of the gateways, so if you need to see example code on how they are doing it for everyone else then you can see clearly how to do it.

*On the bonus side, you would have a plugin to sell for woocommerce which would open up a whole new market for you. Most all of the gateways there now are all 3rd party, and you have to admit, they have one huge share of the market, and the only membership system they currently have is pretty lousy compared to yours.

**Let me know if sending the gateways would help and I will as I am really running out of time and I have tried everything I can think of. I'm only days away from totally loosing face on this project. Please help
  6. alexander

Unfortunately amember can't act like a payment gateway.
    I see only two realistic ways here:
    1. Use aMember to handle registrations/logins/payments
    or
    2. Develop plugin for wordpress itself which will check WooCommerce payments and will restrict access to blogs.

Other ways are too complicated.