Wordpress Integration questions

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by darina, Oct 18, 2008.

1. darina

darina New Member

Hi there,

I've been reading the various posts about wordpress integration but I'm a bit confused !!

I just need to know does the wordpress plugin allow me to do the following;

1. Protect full categories and all posts within them

2. Protect specific pages

3. Semi-Protect certain posts... ie they can read a teaser but when they click on more it says it's for members only (I know this can be done really cos I've seen it on membership academy David's video) BUT.. can it be done in conjunction with the above or just as an alternative?

many thanks
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

The wordpress plugin copies over member data into the wordpress database, tells wordpress the status/level of the user, and provides a single login.

For protection of the actual wordpress content, you're gonna need some additional free plugins for wordpress.

That being said, with the plugins (based on my experience and the plugins I use)

No

No (although possible with using amember php protection)

YES.

David
  3. darina

darina New Member

thanks David,

Hmm so I'm wondering then if the wordpress plugin is relevent at all?

I don't need my members to be actual wordpress users, because they won't be adding content. I just need to protect certain parts of the content on the wordpress site from being seen by non-members. So I'm wondering how I'm going to be able to do that - if at all?

or maybe I shouldn't fully protect anything, maybe the strategy of giving a peek to non-members is better?

just thinking.. the private function on wordpress 2.6 maybe I could use that in conjunction with the wordpress/amember plugin. That makes posts invisible to non-logged in users.. has anyone tried that? or have I got the wrong end of the stick on that?

tks
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

I like the "magazine model" of content protection which is where you give non-members teaser text.

For this you will need the amember plugin along with a few wordpress plugins. You can see a demo of this type of site in my signature.

David
  5. swipetek

swipetek New Member

I need to test out the wordpress integration, just haven't got to it yet [​IMG]
  6. darina

darina New Member

ok thanks david, I know I need to play around with this.. so I'm sure I'll have more questions once it's installed thanks for your help so far :)

rgds