Wordpress Integration - aMember4 Plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by microlinx, Feb 22, 2013.

1. microlinx

microlinx aMember Pro Customer

I am starting the task of integrating amember4 into my wordpress blog and have a few questions...

1. I saw a great outline of how to properly set up the wordpress protection plugin but I can no longer find it. I think Grant S. may have provided that link.

2. The wordpress aMember plugin needed for signup is supposed to be located in my aMember distribution. I found it, then copied it as instructed to my wordpress plugin directory....however, it does not self install. I tried using FTP auto, bin and ascii methods yet it still refuses to install.

So far that's where I'm at...oh and I have BP installed in wordpress too!
  2. microlinx

I did just find the excellent integration manual by Grant S. , so I'm good to go there...now just wondering about the wordpress plugin install issue... I should be able to copy the files to the plugin dir and wordpress should install it automatically. I don't see it in the installed list.
  3. microlinx

Stumbling block 1 - When I activate the amem4 wordpress module, then select the wordpress button from the top menu bar, I get the following error:
    Fatal error: Class 'WordpressAPI' not found in /home/myuser/public_html/member/application/default/plugins/protect/wordpress/wordpress.php on line 500
  4. gswaim

gswaim CGI-Central Partner

I suspect you do not have the aMember widget installed correctly in WordPress. Make sure you followed these instructions explicitly. Make sure the paths are right and you uploaded just the "amember4" folder and its contents to the WordPress plugin directory.
  5. microlinx

Grant: Thanks for the reply, maybe you can verify that I have the whole distribution. I have found that in another case, I did not have the files that should have been in a particular distribution.

I copied the files to /wp-content/plugins/amember4 as instructed.
    Inside that folder are two directories, /includes and /views and three files protection.php, shortdcodes.php, and widgets.php.
    In the /includes dir - one file, access.php
    In the /views dir - 6 files, page_protection.pthml, post+protection.phtml, protection.phtml, settings.phtml, shortcode_am4affil... and shortcode_am4use...

All files are 644 and owned by the proper user (not nobody).

I've install Wordpress plugins like this many times, and they usually get picked up and installed automatically.
  6. gswaim

7. microlinx

Grant, it sure does! I was taking the files off the SERVER installation, so it's obvious that those files did not exist in my initial release. I'll download the whole package again and use those files instead. Thanks!
  8. microlinx

Grant - if you're still there...I've made progress, by now I have a weird wordpress admin problem. It seems that regardless of my plugin settings to ignore Administrator accounts, amember somehow has taken away the ability of me to log in as the wordpress administrator. It looks like the admin account is still in the wp database, but when I tried to log in, it tries to redirect me to the paid user area...any ideas?
  9. microlinx

BTW - I had BP plugins enabled in WP. I have temp renamed them to prevent them from loading, but the same problems remains...I cannot log into Wordpress as the admin anymore. I even tried removing the wordpress plugin in AM4 but that did not prevent the automatic redirect. I looked for an .htaccess that might be redirecting, but it's not the same as ver 3.
  10. microlinx

6 hours later and I'm down to total damage control...
    I still cannot log into my WP admin area... what is strange is that occasionally the admin dashboard appears but as soon as I click a link on it, it throws me back to the standard WP admin login page.

So, in WP I've deactivated all plugins (set option_value to a:0:{} method)
    In aMember I removed the wp integration and deactivated the wordpress plug in...
    I still can't log into wordpress admin, it's as if amember is still controlling access somehow...
    My problems really started when I did a Wordpress DB Rebuild earlier this afternoon.
    What a mess!
    Any ideas would be welcome at this point...
  11. microlinx

Persistence Pays Off! - I found my problem. In the process of setting up the integration I had to add the security keys, but did not remove them when I deactivated everything. I might have a typo in my keys. Do you need the starting and ending ' (apostrophe) ?

At least I can log back into WP as admin!
  12. gswaim

No. In most server environments all the salt keys are automatically populated once you identify the path to the aMember installation, but in your case it apparently didn't.

One other quirk with the integration (I will add this to the documentation) is the way the admin is handled on the WordPress side and the aMember side. Obviously you need to be the admin of the WordPress installation. And you need an admin account in the aMember installation. However, do not try to "link" these two accounts. An admin in aMember is a special case and is not considered a standard user.

So when you want to work in WordPress, log in as the WP admin and do your thing. When you want to work in aMember log in as aMember admin and do your thing. If you want to see how the experience looks for a user, create a couple of user accounts for testing.
  13. microlinx

I'm working on isolating my WP admin login problem today. I had to add the security keys to wp-config using the instructions from the codex. However, once I installed those keys, my WP admin login stops working. I suspect some interaction with my CDN. I do have separate admin account for both a4 and WP.

Prior to all this, the integration on a user level appeared to be working. It's just the WP admin login issue now.

Also, one tip about the integration instructions, when you got to the part about the security keys, your image shows the keys blurred out. I understand the need, but perhaps the blur could be toward the center and leave the end two or three character visible so we know whether to include the ' or not. Just a thought.
  14. microlinx

After messing around with my wp_config file, I found you need to place the security keys at the top of the file, otherwise you might experience odd WP admin login issues. Everything seems to be working ok now...except that when I activate my WP theme, the signup form appears, but my sidebars are all pushed to the bottom of the page. Any special conditions or setting for that?

I think my best course of action is to make a full back and wait to verify stability.
  15. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

if this doesn't work still, please contact us in helpdesk, I will try to integrate aMember with your wordpress theme.