What is the Personal Folder Plugin?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by caroline, Nov 22, 2009.

1. caroline

caroline New Member

I am currently using aMember on a site, and would like to create a new site that allows a registered user to have his own password protected page with content (photos and flash video) he has chosen and purchased specifically for his tastes.

I am currently using WordPress for the new site.

1) Does the Personal Folder Plugin (which I read about on the forum but cannot find documentation for) allow an individual user to access individual products purchased, vs how I have my other site set up now, which is there is one product (the member's area) and all members have access to all content.

2) Can the WordPress plugin work with this as well?

Are there any sites out there that you could provide links to that are doing a similar thing?
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Personal Folder Plugin is not a wordpress plugin- its for amember for creating directories that only a specific member can access. This way you can upload a file like mp3 that only that member can get.

You could place a special php page in the directory that would look like the wordpress site.

David
  3. caroline

caroline New Member

Say Customer 1 bought product A, B and C

Would the personal folder plugin then allow Customer 1 to access each product automatically, or would I have to make a protected folder with those products in it specifically for Customer 1?

I assume that each different product would have its own protected folder and then aMember would allow access to Customer 1 according to which products were purchased (access to A, B and C, but not D, E and F?).
  4. powerkeys

powerkeys Member

Caroline, it sounds like you're trying to do what I've done on my site. I've used Drupal instead of WordPress, but the concept should be the same.

I've set up my various products in different folders on the server, and protected those folders through aMember. When a customer purchases one of my products, they are given full access to the product folder they purchased, but not any others. Some products give access to multiple folders, but not all.

In my CMS (Drupal), I have pages set up that show the available products, and include download links to all of them. I've set this up so all members get to see all products. However, since aMember is protecting the download folders according to which products have been purchased, members who have not purchased a particular product are able to see the description, but not download it.

I've found that this helps to encourage sales. I could have set it up so members see only those products they've purchased and nothing else.

This setup requires only the integration plugin for the CMS.

I think the Personal Folder plugin is more suited to sites where you create custom files for each individual member and only that member will ever see that particular file.