What is the effect on recurring billing if you change the product price

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by tradermike, Apr 23, 2004.

1. tradermike

tradermike New Member

Let's say a current member is signed up for a monthly subscription to ProductA. Originally the price for ProductA was say, $50 per month, and now I want to change the price to $30. (Or even up to $70.)

Question, when the cron job comes around to renew the membership, what price will the customer be charged? The old (original) price that they signed up at, or the new?
  2. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

It depends on payment plugin you are using. If it is something like Paypal, old price will be used. If it is something like Authorize.Net or LinkPoint, new price will be used.
  3. bidman

bidman Guest

Does worldpay use this function
  4. alex

WorldPay acts like PayPal in this matter.
  5. caliber

caliber New Member

How about Verisign?
  6. alex

PayFlow Pro works different - if price changed in aMember, user will be billed using new price.
  7. bill123

bill123 New Member

What if using coupons and Linkpoint? For example, if the customer got 50% off using a coupon on recurring billing, and we later raise the price, will the customer be rebilled the original amount (50% of the old purchase price) or will it be 50% of the new purchase price?

thanks

Bill
  8. alex

coupon discount only affects first charge (with LinkPoint), no discount applied for other charges.
  9. bill123

bill123 New Member

Wow -- good to know before we get carried away with coupons for recurring billing!

thanks

Bill
  10. mh718

mh718 New Member

What happens if you disable a product that is recurring?

So, for example, I want to allow my old customers to keep the lower price for recurring membership, but I want all new customers to pay a new, higher price. Should I just disable the product? Will this disrupt the old users who already have subscriptions? I'm using linkpoint.

Thanks
  11. alex

Yes, please set it to disabled. It won't affect exising subscriptions.
  12. fishnyc22

fishnyc22 New Member

If i have Payflow Pro and a user buys a $20 for a product but uses a 25% off coupon, only the first charge is for $15 all others are $20?

Also, with PayFlowPro, if we raise the price from $20 to $30 but want to honor that $20 charge for the user. We should disable the product? That still allows charges at that $20 rate to continue? Or do we hide the product from the product list by changing the group?

Thanks!
  13. alex

1. Yes.
    2. You just hide the product or mark it "Disabled" (it only disables new sales).
  14. distressedpro

distressedpro New Member

the responses on this are very old, I wonder if this is still the case. I use authorize.net, have all recurring billing and want to raise the price for new customers but lock in existing customers at the current price. I'm using amember 3.2.3
  15. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Yes this is still the case.
  16. alex

For future readers of this topic.
    In aMember version 4 answer to this question is simple - your product changes do not affect existing subscriptions, no matter what paysystem you are using.