Wanted : beta testers of new wordpress plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by alexander, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddhenry

toddhenry New Member

I am having the same issue. I've set everything up according to instructions, but am getting this error. Any tips or thoughts?
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Do you have php 4?
  3. toddhenry

toddhenry New Member

That was it! I switched to PHP5 and all is well. Thanks, Alexander.
  4. EssamHawas

EssamHawas New Member

when the final plugin (not the beta) will be released ?
  5. strategy11

strategy11 New Member

Huge improvement! Thanks for changing this so the WordPress hooks are now used.

How are users currently getting deleted? If I remove a user in aMember, they still exist in my WordPress install. Am I missing something, or is this a hole in the plugin? Also, I've hacked your code to add a drop-down to select the user role with the level. Would you like my code?
  6. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

I think the next thing due from Alex is another Beta with additional features as listed on the ToDo list on this thread's first page.
  7. alexander

user will not be deleted but levels will be removed from user's account so user will loose access.

in regards to roles, this will be implemented in new plugin as well.
  8. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

WordPress 3.0 RC1 is Out

Alex,

The first "Release Candidate" of WordPress 3.0 is out now. The final release is likely 2 weeks or so out. Has the new WordPress plug-in been tested against a WP 3.0 installation? By the time this plugin is released WordPress 3.0 will be the current version.

Thanks
  9. alexander

yes I plan to test it with 3.0 before next release. Sorry for delay with it, I had to rewrite many parts of plugin.
  10. strategy11

strategy11 New Member

Does the profile info get updated to the WordPress database? I don't see it on the To do list, but I'm not finding any code to do the updating.
  11. alexander

Yes profile will be updated as well.
  12. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Plugin Seems Compatible With WordPress 3.0

I upgraded my site to WordPress 3.0 and the plugin seems to work fine.

Looking forward to the next version so we can get one step closer to coming out of beta.
  13. jwietholter

jwietholter New Member

WP 3.0 & General Notes

I've been testing this plugin almost exclusively with the latest version of aMember and the new Wordpress 3.0. It seems as if everything is working up to par.

I do have two recurring problems that I'm probably just too dense to figure out.

1. I add a user through the aMember Admin control panel, then add them as a paid user to the Product that corresponds to the level in the Wordpress plugin. When I open a new browser, go to my site, and use the aMember widget to login to the site with this newly created user, I get an error that the site is going through too many redirects and the site never resolves. I'm going this on localhost. On the flip side of this, if a user actually registers through the widget and then signs out/ signs in, there is absolutely no problem.

2. When not logged in, no matter what protected content I try to access, I always get the default not found error page from Wordpress. It never forwards to the urls that I specify.

On the features front, I think it would be awesome if a user cancels of fails to pay, it would remove the user from the Wordpress database for security purposes. I'm just not 100% on how the security works between aMember and Wordpress.

On the user front, if protected content in Wordpress could also automatically be made "Private" so that only logged in users could access the content, it would make design much easier and double security. With the plugin in its current state, if I set up a default install of WP, have the "Hellp World" post and then a protected post, I can still click on "Hello World" and see a link to the protected post. I can work on redesigning the wordpress site and so that I eliminate all links to the protected content, but I think the additional setting in WP would alleviate this issue for posts and pages. The additional security of marking items "private" would ensure that if for some reason aMember stops working or the db fails, etc. then content in WP would still be protected by WP.

I'm sure I'll have more ideas as I go along, but so far, it is a great plugin and far more flexible than any of the others I have tested. I'm really looking forward to the next version.
  14. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

See this video response:
    http://screencast.com/t/ZDVlZWY3

I really don't see how this is going to make design easier. By default a logged in user doesn't see a "Private" page. The ability to see a private page is a capability that can be added to any level but it would require the use of a role capabilities plug-in.

As far as using this as a backup plan in case aMember fails, Alex would have to comment on the merit of this.

See this video response:
    http://screencast.com/t/M2FhMWY3M
  15. alexander

If aMember -> WP integration will fail for some reason, protection still will work.
    When aMember create user in WP it transfer info about all products user have as well.
    Then it use info stored in WP database when check access permissions for that user.
    The problem will be only in two situations if link will not work.
    1. Existing users will not expire in WP. but private posts will not help here as well.
    2. New users will not be able to login into WP.
  16. jwietholter

jwietholter New Member

@Alexander, that is awesome and I did not know it would work like that. Thanks for educating me there.

@Grant, I obviously did not explain the last issue about links/designing my Wordpress site very well. I'll give it another shot. :)

I know that in WP 3.0 I can change the menu structure easily. I also use the Headway theme on my personal site, and it has the same functionality. I'm not worried about manually changing the structure of my menus. In terms of posts, using Headway, I can setup multiple pages on my Wordpress Site that will only show specific categories and tags in my Wordpress Post Loop. I know how to do that.

What I am wondering, is if there is a way for the aMember plugin and Wordpress to handle this dynamically. For example, if I have a page called "Members Only", I want that to be invisible to anyone not logged in. If they log in and have access to that page, I want them to see it on the menu automatically.

When it comes to posts, I want people to be able to read my normal, unprotected posts, but when they select a post and see the Single Post in Wordpress, I don't want them to be able to see or click on the link (where your next and previous post links are) to a protected post. Essentially, I want these hidden completely from the normal post loop by protecting categories.

If that isn't possible, it's not a big deal. I just have to plan every little detail out ahead of time so that I keep things hidden that I want hidden. That is how it would make designing the site easier. I wouldn't have to manually make menus and hide post categories, Wordpress and the aMember plugin would handle that for me dynamically.

Still testing this plugin with WP 3.0 combination, and it is working great.
  17. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

JW,

I think the easiest way to do this (if it works with the style of your site) is to display the "Members Only" menu in a widget. The next version of this plug-in is supposed to include an "aMember text widget". This would allow you to show specific widgets (which could contain a menu) to specific users based on their subscriptions. You should be able to built these widget menus with the new menu utility included with 3.0.

Good Luck!
  18. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

19. thors1982

thors1982 Member

Adding user through Admin

I just tried to add a user through aMember admin it doesn't appear to add them to wordpress at all.

Can someone else test this to confirm, if so its a bug :)

Not a huge deal for us just trying to help them debug.
  20. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

I am pretty sure the person is not added to the WP database until they actually login for the first time. Try logging in with the new username/password and you should see it in the WP database.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.