Wanted : beta testers of new wordpress plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by alexander, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Looks like posts get hidden from lower levels. Think this should be optional- and also available on categories and pages.

David
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

Please see my post above.
  3. alexander

David, sorry not sure I understand. Can you explain?
  4. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

If a post is protected for gold content, but i'm not logged in- I cant see it.
    Is this correct? I should be able to decide if i want it to be shown. Same functionality should be done with categories and posts. In other words, the ability to hide content from members who arent allowed the content yet.

David
  5. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Right...

I'd go even further and have the options to set it to either hidden (not shown, as if it doesn't exist), show only title, show only title & preview, show full post... in categories and in individual posts/archive pages.

Most of the time it doesn't make sense hiding the posts from people as if they don't have the proper rights to view these posts they might see an empty site/blog... and a lot of people want the control over that (as in, show the titles or previews of posts to people who don't have access to it yet, so to entice them to upgrade to the level that allows them to see that content fully).
  6. alexander

Well I think it is implemented already but possible need more documentation.
    Currently, you can choose "hide" post or "display error message" and can display post preview (everything before more tag) also using shortcodes this is possible to select only part of the post and protect it. For categories when user should not have access plugin will follow rules that set inside post.
    So, to answred David's question:
    If you will set display error for this post and will add more tag to the top of post, post title should be available and user will be redirected to access denied error
  7. andy_glo

andy_glo Member

Hi there, does this also log users into wordpress for single login and wordpress comments?

If not I assume it checks for an amember login for post permissions.
  8. alexander

Yes it add users from amember to wordpress and login users into wordpress as well.
    So all plugins that use wordpress database will work as well .
  9. presscoders

presscoders New Member

When you mention above... "also using shortcodes this is possible to select only part of the post and protect it." ...what do you mean exactly by 'protect'? Does this mean hide the sections that are included between the shortcodes, as in:

Code:
    [amember_protect levels='level1,level2']Protected contet, not publicly visible!![/amember_protect]
    This is fine but would it be possible to use the above shortcode to hide a section from users not signed in, and also show a section to users who are signed in (i.e. have subscribed to a product). Something like this:

Code:
    [amember_protect levels='none']This is only shown to guests. Perhaps show some inactive links to premium content (videos etc.)[/amember_protect]

[amember_protect levels='level1,level2']Protected contet, not publicly visible!! This section would show the same links as above but this time they should be active as this section is visible to subscribers![/amember_protect]

So, in the shortcodes above only one of them should be visible, either the inactive links for guests/new site visitors, or the active links for existing customers. This would enable a very fine level of control over exactly what content on each post is visible by who.

The other levels of protection are very good idea also if you want to protect posts as a whole but I really need finer control as mentioned above.

I already have this implemented on my site but currently I have aMember/PHP code inserted into my WordPress template to check if a user is subscribed or not. If they are a guest then one version of content is displayed, and another slightly altered version appears for subscribers.

But, of course if this works from a plugin rather than having to hack WordPress theme files then this is fantastic news as it means when changing themes or updating/reinstalling WordPress it will be very easy to maintain.

If you can get the new aMember/WordPress plugin to work in this manner it will be a very powerful and attractive feature for aMember/WordPress users, if they can setup their WordPress sites and protect any part of it quickly and easily. My mouth is watering already...!
  10. alexander

Will add this to todo list.
  11. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Got a chance today to install aMember 3.1.9 and the WordPress plugin. This is all working well with the current version of WordPress.

The only thing I would put on my wish list would be a text-based widget that would be visible based on membership status. This is a feature offered by a third party WordPress plugin and it is a nice feature.

Thanks!
  12. alexander

So add new widget in addition to existing widget? Or just add text field to existing widget?
  13. vercana

vercana New Member

This sounds like it is going to be a great Plugin to make it easier to integrate aMember/WordPress. One thing though...can I use this Plugin without any users being added from aMember db to the WordPress users db?

I did not really need/wish any users to have access to the 'WordPress' login, as they would only be viewing material on the site and not adding any content (via the WordPress backend). Also I would want to keep the WP db as 'clean' and small as possible and having it populated with all of the aMember db user info would make it much larger than desired.
  14. vercana

vercana New Member

Also, as mentioned in another post, to be able to have finer grain control over which content is shown at the post level would be great.

Ideally the way it would work is this. On a full (publicly viewable post) you could then simply wrap a shortcode around a piece of content in the post (or perhaps you have added something a new) that you wish to protect.

This would hide the content unless the user was signed in, so you could then add another shortcode above/below the new item saying there is content hidden and subscribe to view it. You could do this as many times as you wished on each post on your site.

The clearest example I can think of is if you wished to embed a video in your site. For guest visitors they could simply see an image of the video player that represents your video (it could even link to the signup page if they clicked on it), better still it could be a teaser video to the full video. But for subscribers the image thumbnail is no longer visible (as it was wrapped in a 'guest only' shortcode) and they now see the image replaced with a working video.

This would be very seamless if the image closely matched the video player as closely as possible.

Also, using the same method, another example could be say you had links to content (to download some premium files), you could easily make some links inactive whilst leaving the 'free' ones in active.

I know that you could, of course, have the files in an aMember protected folder and have them available to be downloaded via links (as you normally would) without having to make any links inactive via the above method.

BUT, the whole point and the beauty of it from a site owners point of view is that guests can see what content they are missing out on rather than having to rely on the content creator to 'sell' the content and say how good it is. This way the user can see as much as they are allowed to see without subscribing! :)

David
  15. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

I am talking about being able to show a separate text widget (not the aMember login widget) in a sidebar based on membership levels. This way you could also use the sidebar to present information based on membership levels.

This would be just like the standard "Text" widget provided by WordPress, but call it something like "aMember Text". In edit mode, the aMember Text widget would have the same box for text/html but also have the aMember protection box at the bottom just like is provided on a page or post.

amProtect, the great WordPress plug in from Ken Gary provides this feature by using the Logic Widget plugin. However, I think an aMember Text widget, like I described above, would be easier for a user to implement. It would be as easy as dragging an aMember Text box to any sidebar and then configuring the settings to control who sees it.

Thanks in advance for considering this feature!
  16. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

what would be nice is to have option to select wheter the post links would be protected to display.
  17. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

also in IE when recent post or popular post is clicked I get 404 page.
  18. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

damn! now all at sudden I get this error from WP:

Connection to aMember failed ()!

and from WP amember settings:
    Connection failed (parse error. not well formed)!
  19. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

it happend when i tried to create new page, when I was creating posts it was working OK, and I didnt change anything in meantime.
  20. mikica123

mikica123 New Member

I think it happend when I was testing login as user, and when i logged out form blog and went to wp admin to make new page gotten this error.

But know all post and pages are protected by default!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.