Wanted : beta testers of new wordpress plugin

Discussion in 'Integration' started by alexander, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

THREAD CLOSED. CONTINUE IN http://www.amember.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12518

Hi all,
    We developed new plugin for aMember + WordPress recently and need help testing it.
    http://www.amember.com/p/integration/new-wordpress-plugin/
    Plugin is beta so any new feature suggestions and bug reports are welcome.
    Thanks for the help in advance!

TODO for new plugin:
    --- Change package structure (and modify installation instructions)
    --- Documentation for Protection Levels.
    --- More better description for settings in edit post screen.
    --- Separate settings page to create amember error pages.
    --- Add buttons for amember shortcodes to post/page editor.
    --- Add more control for user to post & categorie protection settings.
    --- Create levels for all aMember products when plugin will be enabled first time.
    --- New shortcodes to control content that should be displayed/protected for logged in
    and not logged in users also for users who does not have levels.
    --- Test with UTF-8 converter
    ++ Link all settings pages to each other (create separate submenu for all aMember settings)
  2. deafdavid

deafdavid Member

The link isn't working.
  3. alexander

Should be ok now.
  4. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

I'm on it ;)

And here's a suggestion before I even get started testing - include this plugin FOR FREE with the aMember purchase, just because your competition has already surpassed this "wordpress integration" stage and is tying their products directly into wordpress right off the bat, for free (Alexander, email me for direct links and examples, if you are really curious about the sources).

Small price cut to take for you, huge reason to stick to aMember for all the customers ;)
  5. miso

oh, and you could've organized the folders a bit clearer too... attached is an example.
  6. miso

A few questions first...

1) in this setting:

[​IMG]

what do those "add after..." and "keep for..." columns represent? might wanna clarify that a bit...

2) in this setting (on page/post pages):

[​IMG]

what does "show post preview" actually show?

I couldn't get it to work...

And what part of the content is actually selected as "preview" portion to show?

3) The option "When post should not be available for user:" could be expanded to show the signup page, a custom created page (that has the sales copy, upsell link, whatever), or something along those lines? As it is right now, it's pretty restricting and serves little purpose from an actual customer's point of view.

4) "Error page that should be displayed when user try to access restricted content" and the setting right after that - where do we find and customize that amember_access_denied_default page?

5) I'd suggest combining all the aMember setting sections into a single one under Settings, instead of having 3 separate ones right now (aMember settings/aMember Levels/Protect Categories)... it might be VERY confusing having them separate when you can easily combine them into a single page with some tabs for separate sections.

6) I'd also suggest adding some sort of a button/popup menu into tinyMCE editor to actually allow for selecting specific parts of the content that you want to protect and wrapping them up in pre-defined User Levels (instead of doing it all manually).

Again, just mainly suggestions from usability standpoint... haven't tested the functionality 100% just yet, and have no idea how that Incremental Content dripping actually performs either. Yet.
  7. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

I have not had a chance to test this plug-in but while looking at the files saw a file named "shortcodes.php" with the following comments in the file:

Code:
    //////// SHORTCODES;
    //////// FULL LIST OF ALL AVAILABLE:
    /* [amember_url] - url of aMember installation as set in aMember plugin settings
     * [amember_signup_url] - Url of signup page as set in aMember plugin settings
     * [amember_user var='name'] return logged in user's info for example:
     * [amember_user var='name'] will return user's name: John Doe
     * [amember_user var='email'] will return user's email: test@test.com
     * [amember_user var='login'] will return user's login: test
     */
    I did not see any mention of short codes in the documentation. Does this mean you can place aMember forms and info directly onto a WP page using short codes? Is it functional now or is it an upcoming feature?

As I stated in this post, this is the missing link in a WP - aMember integration. To be able to integrate without having to theme aMember files is neat. This makes the changing of a theme much easier.

Thanks.
  8. erwinvdb

erwinvdb aMember Pro Customer

Alexander, do you also have a WPMU version?
  9. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

At the next release of WordPress (Version 3.0), WPMU will no longer exsist. The code base of WP and WPMU are being merged. There will be a setting that would support multiple blogs from within the WP 3.0 installation. Speculation on the release of 3.0 is May 1st at the opening of WordCamp San Francisco).

I am not sure how this would affect this plug-in, but I assume it would work for single blog installations and multiple site installations.
  10. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

I was already working on the idea of updating my amProtect plugin for WordPress/aMember with the capability of inserting any and all of your aMember forms anywhere you wanted into WordPress pages so that you would not have to update the aMember templates if you didn't want to.

Just FYI.

We'll see where this goes now.
  11. kengary

kengary aMember Pro Customer

Miso,

I'm curious. Who exactly are you referring to when you talk about Alex's competition tying into WordPress for free?
  12. miso

Not sure it would be smart to mention their heaviest competition (in my opinion) in public... but email me.
  13. alexander

Miso,
    Yes after this plugin will be tested and will work, it will be included in aMember by default and will be offered for free.
    Old plugin will not be required anymore because new can add users to wordpress and support single login as well.

14. alexander

You right. Will do this.
    I will update main post and will include todo list in it.
  15. alexander

Above shotcodes should work already plus [amember_protect levels='level1,level2']Test[/amember_protect] in order to protect part of the post.
    In regards to forms:
    I can make shortcode to include amember's login form in the post but not sure will it be usefull or not because, widget already have login form.
    In regards to signup form, with aMember 4 this will be possible to include it in wordpress, as for current version, there is no easy solution.
    I can include signup form html but when user will submit form, he still will be redirected t amember's signup form, will this be usefull?
  16. alexander

No didn't plan this yet, but as was mentioned by grantswaim if code will be merged, plugin will be updated for sure.
  17. alexander

This is for incremental content.
    You can setup multiple levels for example:
    month_1 will be added after 0 days and will stay forever
    month_2 will be added after 30 days and will stay forever
    month_3 will be added after 60 days and will stay forever

so when user will login, plugin will check how long user have product and will assign user to current level. Then in post protection you cat select what levels will be able to access post.

Controlled by "more" tag. Will update description.

Sure this can be expanded as you need.
    You can create as many error posts as you need and they will be available in above drop-down list. Just set meta amember_error when you create new post to any value.
    Later I will create separate settings page that will have error pages only and interface to create/delete/update only error pages.

Please see above.

I didn't made it such way in first place because there will be mnore setings in the future so this page will be very log and confusing. But I will add description to settigns page and will link all other pages from it.

Good idea!

Thanks for the suggestions!
  18. miso

You might want to update the description on that page somewhere to say that... so the users are not asking the same question as I did ;)

And you mean that we don't even need the Incremental Content plugin in place in aMember in order to deliver content like this within wordpress incrementally, with this in place?

This is what I had in mind... if you take wp-ecommerce plugin, for example (and there are tons of plugins that do this), they create a custom "Plugin Name" menu and have sub-menus available under it linking to specific option pages:

[​IMG]

Hence, why I suggest creating a top level admin menu called "aMember" or something short and sweet, and then having all the other pages/options listed underneath it... makes not only for a much more organized plugin, but easier to find, use, understand, etc.
  19. alexander

Yes.
    Ok.
  20. grantswaim

grantswaim New Member

Alex,

Will this plug-in allow the placement of aMember pages directly onto a WordPress page with a short code? I see a shortcode.php file, but no documentation about using shortcodes.

Thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.