Version 4 on same server as 3?

Discussion in 'Installation' started by JimmyStephans, Apr 4, 2014.

1. JimmyStephans

JimmyStephans Member

I have a site running on my server using version 3.X and its been running fine a couple of years.

This week we added a new site and asked for aMember to install latest version (4.X). The next day tech from aMember sent this message:

"Please ask web hosting support to enable PDO and PDO_MYSQL extensions for PHP in server configuration. It's required for aMember. Also make sure that 'mbstring' extension enabled."

Tech support at host did that but now the version 3.X site is broken.

Going to login as admin gets this error message;

"Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/teenglam/public_html/amember/plugins.inc.php on line 481"

Subscribers trying to login get this error message:

"Strict Standards: Only variables should be assigned by reference in /home/teenglam/public_html/amember/plugins.inc.php on line 481
    WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/teenglam/public_html/amember/plugins.inc.php:481) in line 1673 of file common.inc.php
    WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/teenglam/public_html/amember/plugins.inc.php:481) in line 54 of file new_rewrite.inc.php

Fatal error: Call to undefined function session_is_registered() in /home/teenglam/public_html/amember/plugins/protect/php_include/check.inc.php on line 502

So, anybody have any hints, tips or advice?

Thanks,

Jimmy
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

No reason why both versions cannot reside on same server. After I upgraded to V4 I kept the old installation of V3.2.3 as it contained payment details for members prior to the upgrade. Not tried the member login but admin definitely still works. I am using PHP 5.2.17

You have to remember version 3 is now really relatively quite old and was designed to use the then current versions of PHP.

The newer versions of PHP have deprecated various functions that were necessary for V3 to work.

It would seem that your host rather than just install the requested modules, assuming they were available in your previous PHP version, have installed a later version that is not compatible with aMember 3. What PHP version do you have installed? If later than 5.3 (I think it was then that changes made aMember struggle) ask your host to instal 5.2.17 (same as I am using) as I know that works.

End of the day however maybe time to upgrade existing V3 installation to V4 as problems will probably only get worse.
  3. JimmyStephans

JimmyStephans Member

TheHPMC - I think you are correct. They have switched me back to previous PHP and Version 3 site is working fine. Message was that Monday they would test and talk to me about same issue - PHP versions as you discussed.

So, yes looks like I'll have to update to version 4 for that older site too.

Thanks - and I'll be back to confirm soon as I know for sure.