Vbulletin Plugin Lack of Instructions

Discussion in 'Customization & add-ons' started by TORON, Oct 26, 2004.

1. TORON

TORON Guest

First off I want to say I'm very disapointed in the instructions that come with the plug in. Really useless.

Here is the problem.

Installed plug in and it is not clear what the settings should be.

First line says

vbulletin3 Board Db and Prefix
    database name (if other database) plus vbulletin3 board
    tables prefix, like vb.vb_
    here vbulletin3 board in database vb and tables prefix is vb_
    after change click SAVE twice

What kind of language is this?

I am using to different data bases.
    Vbulletin is ftadavid_vbulletin
    amember is ftadavid_amember

The tables don't have a prefix in front of them. I see the table "user" for example and it does not show vb_user in phpMyAdmin

What should it be set to?

I tried ftadavid_vbulletin and also with a period at the end.
    I keep getting

vbulletin3 Board Db and Prefix - incorrect value. Error: Table 'ftadavid_amember.ftadavid_vbulletinuser' doesn't exist
  2. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Haha 'language' - I had the same problem understanding. Anyway, I contacted supported regarding this and since I installed Amember inside my VBulletin DB, all I had to do was type my db with a trailing period.

If you get further and figure out how to replace the default login and registration code in VBulletin with the Amember required paths, let me know! I am still trying to figure out how to by-pass the VBulletin login and registration areas with the Amember ones. Otherwise, everything seems to work from a basic installation.

Are you doing a subscription based forum system?

FYI - If a user in Vbulletin tries to change his/her password or email in the user CP, it will not change in Amember pro. However, if you change this information in Amember (admin cp), it propogates to Vbulletin. Just thought you should know since I asked this question today.

Tom
  3. TORON

TORON Guest

May end up having to do the same. Guess I can export database and import it again?

Did not realize we where beta testers.....
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Toron,
    plugin is not beta, and instructions will be fixed soon.
    If you still have any questions, feel free to contact support.

You have to enter into field:
    tadavid_vbulletin.

Once you configure everything on aMember CP -> Setup -> vBulletin3 and pressed Save button twice, as required, you may go to aMember CP -> Manage Products, and set new field value: "vBulletin Access".

Once you make this, press "Rebuild Db". It will take your aMember subscribers to vBulletin database.

Integration is one-way, so aMember will never automatically get your vB3 members. If it is necessary, please describe your situation, there is always some workaround.

It is better, faster and easier to discuss these concrete things with support:
    https://www.cgi-central.net/support/
  5. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Great Response Alex!

I will be contacting support as well to inquire about getting some things running in terms of replacing the default VBulletin login and registration screens with Amembers.

BTW, when are you guys going to implement Live Chat Support or an 800# :)

Tom
  6. TORON

TORON Guest

Done, same error. Saved it twice as per your instructions.

7. alex

What is exact error message? Please copy&paste.
  8. TORON

TORON Guest

When trying to build database.

MYSQL ERROR:
    Table 'ftadavid_amember.user' doesn't exist
    in query:
    SELECT username, usergroupid FROM user
  9. alex

No, no, no, it is not acceptable! You did not finish plugin configuration and trying to run other things.

Go to aMember CP -> Setup -> vBulletin,
    enter
    tadavid_vbulletin.
    as Database name and prefix,
    click Save

Which red error message do you see? Please copy&paste.
  10. TORON

TORON Guest

I enter the database name "ftadavid_vbulletin" and key at the bottom .. results are

vbulletin3 Board Db and Prefix - incorrect value. Error: Table 'ftadavid_amember.ftadavid_vbulletinuser' doesn't exist

Still saved twice.

Database for Vbulletin is ftadavid_vbulletin
    Database for amember is ftadavid_amember
  11. alex

Please enter

ftadavid_vbulletin.
  12. alex

with POINT after database name, as specified.
  13. TORON

TORON Guest

vbulletin3 Board Db and Prefix - incorrect value. Error: select command denied to user: 'ftadavid_amember@localhost' for table 'user'

when I add a period after ftadavid_vbulletin
    so it looks like this

ftadavid_vbulletin.
  14. alex

Ohh, now it is getting better :)
    Go to your webhosting control panel, go to MySQL databases,
    and allow ALL access for MySQL user ftadavid_amember to MySQL database ftadavid_vbulletin

Then try again.
  15. TORON

TORON Guest

Now that was sharp eye!

That did it!

amember software that uses amember account did not have access to vbulletin db because it was not setup as a user and given permissions.

Thank you. Another thing to add to some instructions I guess.
    Now I realize what is going on. You never make the same mistake twice.

Suggestion... Let us set up sql permissons, db name, and user name ourself in future versions. This will make it obvious when there is a problem.
  16. TORON

TORON Guest

Off topic followup Problem fixed

Cant delete post, sorry.. ignore this one.
  17. alex

Thank you for suggestion.
    This feature is already planned for next generation of aMember software.
    Too late to make such major changes into current version.
  18. gopherhockey

gopherhockey Guest

Sorry to keep this thread going, but I recently registered for this software and am trying to integrate it with our current vbulletin.

The plugin script seemed to work - I can see all my groups in the list.

I set up one product - a one year single user membership.

Now what I want to do is start adding existing users to this subscription. When I go to browse users, I get nothing. If I try add a user (from the vbulletin database) it says user already exists. If I try register as that user, it doesn't recognize me.

How do I tie a vbulletin user to a product? (witout a mass import of any kind)

I simply want to be able to test a user, set it to expire and see how that goes. Then we'll have a large project to have to take all existing subscriptions (be they in the forums or not) and regster them with amember.

The goal is to control our club memberships for those that are registered in the forusm, as well as those that are not (these we'd have to enter manually I assume)

I'd appreciate an answer here vs. contacting support. i think that it would be helpful for users to see some of these support questions answered here so we can all learn from them.
  19. gigaenvy

gigaenvy New Member

Works fine for me, but then I used all the resources at CGI-Central to get things the way I wanted.

http://www.cgi-central.net/support/

Also, in Vbulletin create a new usergroup. I called mine Paid Members. In Amember configure the Vbulletin plugin so it denies access to any usergroups in Vbulletin that you do not want managed by Amember. I did not select Paid Members in my configuration.

In Amember CP create a product (like you did) and select the usergroup from Vbulletin that you want those members registering for that account to appear in when you create them in Amember.

Try creating a new user in Amember or through signup.php with a totally new user account that does not exist in Vbulletin. Took me about 3 days testing, configuring, and contacting support directly to work through the learning curve.

Please note that you will not get quick responses in the forums for support other than from other users. If you want dev support contact them directly at http://www.cgi-central.net/support/

GigaEnvy
    Tom
  20. gopherhockey

gopherhockey Guest

I guess my problem is the fact that I have over 500 already paid club members all expiring at different times of the year. To get aMember to work and be valuable at all, I need to take those 500+ users and get them into the aMember system. I also don't want separate userid's and passwords (thus the vbulletin plugin).

I need to be able to take a userid such as "johnson" for example, already a member of our club, expires in June of 05, and enable him in amember so that come June he will be able to re-subscribe via amember and retain his forum membership.

Currently he has "Registered Users" as his primary usergroup, and "Club Members" as an additional group. This would be the group that amember would control. When a user signs up, they get access to this group which in turn gives them some special forum access, as well as other things. When they expire, I want emails sent and their access to this Club Members group revoked.

It is really sounding like aMember is close, but not exactly what we need.

Here is what I tried to do to trick the system, and this only works because I know this test users password. I don't know all the other 500+ users passwords so I don't think I can import or do it this way.

I turned off the vbulletin plugin. With it on, I cannot register a user into amember that already exists in vbulletin... which is really strange, but I won't get into that.

I made my subscription = $0 and used the free payment system.

I signed in with the test user and was able to become an amember user.

I went in and re-enabled the vbulletin plugin.

I can now see this one test user. I just don't think that aMember is smart enough to connect this user with the one in the vbulletin database.

Regardless, this won't work for me with all the other users because they all have their own passwords. If it did work I could import them all, then re-enable the vb plugin.

Am I still missing something?