vB integration + protection method

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by merryel, Nov 3, 2009.

1. merryel

merryel New Member

I currently run a large membership site that uses a different login script, but it also runs a vB forum that holds the same member's details (both logins are created on registration).

I would like to swap over to aMember, but wouldn't be able to import the main user database. Can I import existing members from the vB install into aMember?

Also, currently the site is protected by a small 'is logged in' style script up the top of each page. Can aMember do that, or will I need to move everything to a sub-folder?

Thanks!
  2. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

This is not recommended to import from vBulletin because there is no way to get user's passwords. So passwords will be changed on import.
    Are you able to get user's passwords from the script you use now?
    Also in regards to protection, you can use php_include for this. (require to insert two lines of code into your php files)
  3. merryel

merryel New Member

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately no I can't get the passwords from the existing system, but they have the same password in vB.

Could I perhaps import the users and then update the database to overwrite the password record with their password from vB, if they are encrypted the same way? I'm not adversed to some tweaking.
  4. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Nope.

No easy way of doing that, as vB passwords are hashed so many times it's impossible to decrypt them for use/import in other systems.

What you could/should do is import them all into aMember and generate new passwords within aMember during import. And then just send a mass email to everyone with their new aMember generated password ;)
  5. merryel

merryel New Member

Thanks Miso, with over 450,000 members I'd love to make the transition seamless, but perhaps that's not possible.

Unfortunately I just can't get my old login system working on the new server, even with the same versions of mysql and php.
  6. alexander

alexander Administrator Staff Member

But anyway, your old system should store passwords somewhere right? If this is MySQL database you can get login/passwords still from database directly.