user specific content?

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Questions' started by lonestar, Dec 27, 2005.

1. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Good day! I need some help coming up with the best way to accomplish the following:

I want to have my site set up with the free content, and the extra content accessable by members. There are three different types of membership, each with a lengthy registration questionnaire, the results to be mailed to me. These are paid memberships.

Now, I know I can do this much with my normal site and the p********g that I have now. But, I need more personalization. I am a personal trainer, so lets say "Jane" joins for nutritional programming. She answers the nutrition form, pays her 25.00 via paypal and is then a member who can access the entire site. She should also have a profile, or account area just for her where I can upload her menus and such. Is there a way to automate things like this? Do I need additional software, or am I stuck making new folders and sending PW protected links to each and every member?

Thank you for your help!
  2. mdelacruz

mdelacruz New Member

You have to program the HTML page

Hi lonestar:

aMember will help you to create and manage your products and subscriptions, you have to create the member area pages and then give them access if member had paid subscription.

There are many ways to do that, using a CMS, programming pages yourself, etc, but what you have to do is create the members area and then use one of protection methods gived by aMember.
  3. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

It depends on your needs. aMember itself does not provide such feature to provide individual content. However, it is possible (for example!) to order forum integration software for example for phpBB and provide personal advices via forum PM. I personally don't like this, but it is just idea.
  4. Vibrovox

Vibrovox New Member

Why can't aMember pass the DB UserID?

Would it be possible to include a parameter such as [$userid] in the product URL? aMember could then substitute this parameter with the unique key of the userid (i.e. NOT the UserID that the user can actually change but the unique database ID that aMember must store for them). That way, a downstream PHP script could used this to customise the content (and track the content use).

I'm surprised this is not part of the current design - to be honest it was the first thing I was looking for!

(e.g. my product URL could be something like http://www.my_url.com/protected/userdisplay.php?userid=[$userid])

:)
  5. alex

It is very easy to implement. Contact us via helpdesk and we will add this feature and provide you with updated files so you can use it immediately.
  6. Vibrovox

Vibrovox New Member

More dynamic fields in the Product link?

Hi Alex. Passing the user id works fine thanks. I have another site I'm thinking about buying amember for. This site needs to be able to pass a value to amember at all times and to receive that value back from amember via the product link.

For each different value of that parameter I would also need to supply a different top/bottom.html.

Is all this possible with amember?
  7. alex

Sorry, I don't understand question, could you explain with example?
  8. Vibrovox

Vibrovox New Member

I'd call amember with something like ....
    signup.php?myField=1&myhostTopHTML=/myhostdir/top.html&myhostBotHTML=/myhostdir/bot.html

... amember would then grab the top/bottom html from the filenames I supplied. It would display the registration form surrounded by the correct html and it would remember the hostid (i.e. '1').

After registration, amember would direct me towards my product, passing the new userid and the hostid that it 'remembered'. e.g.

http://www.mysite.com/product.php?hostid=1&userid=2345

So maybe the amember config would need to have a few extra fields such as

TopHTML - either static or dynamic (pass [TopHTML] if dynamic)
    BotHTML - either static or dynamic (pass [BotHTML] if dynamic)
    myField - pass [myField] and have it returned within the product URL