Upgrading from 3.1.9 to 4.4.3

Discussion in 'Installation' started by jjenkins, Sep 20, 2014.

1. awylie

awylie aMember Pro Customer

Hello,

I have recently taken over a subscription based Wordpress website with amember 3.1.9 implementation. I have read on forums and documentation that Upgrading from 3.x to 4.x is not a trivial task and all customization has to be redone again. Our site is working alright and on the face of it there does not seem to be any reason to upgrade. In light if this, would experienced members be able to help me with the following questions:

1. What are a few compelling reasons to upgrade? What would amember 4.x provide that cannot be done with 3.x - anything that will help make a business case for the upgrade?

2. Assuming that we plan to upgrade - what would be ballpark estimates time / effort required to do this? Are there any implementation partners who can help with this - and if so, what would be the cost of doing this?

Thanks for your help.
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

1. V3 is based on old versions of php so delay upgrading could cause your site to fail if your hosting company upgrade php version. lan the upgrade and you can take your time and not be in a panic because of broken site.

2. How long is a piece of string? How much effort, ballpark time and costs involved? How can anyone tell if you don't say if you have 100 or 100,000 members, what customisations you have, how many products or how many with recurring payments. All these things will determine how much effort will be required.
  3. awylie

awylie aMember Pro Customer

Thank you - php upgrade is a very important reason - that helps.

In terms of more information, here are some points:

- our site has between 200-300 active members on average
    - customization: I am not too familiar with amember, so this may be a little off. But from what I understand we have plugins for authorize.net payment, integration with Wordpress, listmail, customization of basic templates (headers / footers, etc.) , Google analytics, listmail integration.
    - we have 5-6 active products (different types / levels of subscription) - there are a few more inactive products
    - we would have about 50-60 recurring subscriptions, mostly monthly, but a few annual too.

Does this help?