Upgrade Policy

Discussion in 'Testimonials' started by amadeus, Apr 16, 2010.

1. amadeus

amadeus Member

Alex,

You should be more clear with people when they're buying your product that you do not upgrade your software within a 6 month span. When I bought amember and read the terms, I made a logical assumption that I would get at least one free upgrade (otherwise, why even include a clause saying "6 months of free upgrades" in the first place.)

I know that you are within your rights; however, I must tell you that this leaves me with a bad impression.

I would like to suggest that you consider changing your business model to a concept where the buyer gets free upgrades within the same major version number. For example, if you buy 3.1.1 ..you get 3.1.1 to 3.1.99999 as free upgrades. Then, 3.2 would require an "upgrade purchase" or something along those lines.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts and my disappointment with being required to spend money just to go from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9.

If you feel as though this version is enough of an upgrade from 3.1.8 to be worth $40, then you should call it 3.2 or something ...otherwise, in most software development, the difference between 3.1.8 and 3.1.9 is not extensive and makes one think that it is not worth the cost.
  2. amadeus

amadeus Member

Disregard.
  3. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Huh?

I don't even understand your concern here...

I thought that existing policy is pretty clear - you get all the updates that come out in the next 6 months after your purchase, and that's it.
  4. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

amadeus, I agree it was long time without updates, but things will change soon. And is it bad that you'll get update to aMember Pro v.4 for the same $40 ? Another company like M$ would charge you $120. For example have a look to vBulletin upgrades policy.
  5. jenolan

jenolan aMember Coder

I think that you are too easily annoyed.

CGI's renewal system is in line with most software shops. Camtasia you pay about $100 if there are not updates from when you buy one renewal to the next that's just tough. Unlike Alex though you don't just catch up with your renewal Camtasia make you pay a hefty 'upgrade' charge.

At the price point of aMember considering it is a piece of software that earns your income, how many clients payments does it cost you? Most sites it would be .. errr .. one renewal to pay for the software doing the work.

Be realistic, I bet you spend more on your morning tea over six months than the software that runs your business!

Larry
  6. honest

honest New Member

7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Avinash,
    thank you for suggestion. Idea of these $40 is that you pay for updates and SUPPORT. Even if there was no public versions released last year, the plugin updates process we do is non-stopping. So if a customer contacts us and claims the plugin does not work with updated version of "xxx" software, we react immediately and develop new version of plugin. The same for payment plugins.
    Also, anyone may experience problems for example because of web-hosting changes. He can contacts us via helpdesk, and we will help.

In any case, I understand last year went without public releases and it may look sad for customers. It is not usual situation and in future I promise you will see more valuable releases.
  8. miso

miso aMember Pro Customer

Meh... all Alex has to do really to fall in line with the standard practice is change that upgrade policy to say "6 months worth of support and upgrades (if any)" from the date you purchase the amember or support/upgrade renewal.
  9. tommyk

tommyk New Member