Updated to aMember Pro 4.5.1 from 4.4.4, now major problems

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jfolk, Dec 19, 2014.

1. jfolk

jfolk aMember Pro Customer

This morning we updated our aMember Pro to 4.5.1 from 4.4.4. After the update was completed, we had major problems. No admin access. No membership access. No new memberships, etc. A completely crashed membership system.

Sent in support ticket but received no reply.

We did a backup before we updated, but when trying to upload the backup, we encountered server problem and the upload quit. We've been trying to correct the problem but to no avail so far.

Question: Which files should we be manually uploading to revert back to our working copy, and which files should we not touch?

Any help is appreciated.
  2. femur

femur aMember Pro Customer

Amember support is gone for the weekend. My thinking is it's a bad idea to release an update at the end of the weeks since they don't offer support on the weekends. I would recommend in the future do not do an update on a Friday because of situations like this - if you run into trouble there's no support right away.

In terms of which files - you could download the zip file from the downloads page (click on 4.4.4 as your installed version). This will give you a zip file containing all the files that were changes for 4.5.1 and you could then reverse engineer these files from your backup.

Not saying that would necessarily work but worth a shot?
  3. jfolk

Thanks femur.

Yes, lesson learned. No updates on a Friday.

Re: 4.4.4. We can try that. I'm wondering about the htaccess files. Since those are updated with each new member, should we not overwrite those or is this information pulled from the database?

I appreciate your help. Thanks.
  4. 123Marketing

123Marketing Member

Yes. Good advice.

Actually, I would only update on a Monday... because sometimes it takes days to go back and forth via email to fix a glitch...

Plus, I wait at least a few weeks to see if anyone posts here with issues.

In fact, that's the only reason I am here right now... and I am super glad I did not update.
  5. jfolk

Question: When uploading using FTP, should the FTP program overwrite the files being uploaded AND erase everything else in the directory that is being uploaded? Or should the FTP program just overwrite the files that are being uploaded?

For example, when uploading the 'application' folder in 4.5.0., only the files 'cc' and 'default' are in the application folder to be uploaded. Yet, there are more files in the 'application' folder at the server. When I upload the entire 'application' folder, only the files in it are overwritten, which leaves the others at the server intact. Is this what should be happening?

If so, maybe the 4.5.1 update left items that need to be removed in order for our previously working amember system to work again.

All comments are appreciated, as our membership system is still not working.
  6. edward_shephard

edward_shephard aMember Pro Customer

If you downloaded the update package then you should definitely 'merge' the folders and not 'replace'!
  7. jfolk

Thanks, Edward. That's what we did. The problem continues.
  8. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Did you try renaming the existing aMember installation, on server, before using ftp to upload the backup copy of previous aMember installation.

Prior to any upgrades I always ftp down a copy of the complete aMember folder on server and backup database using SQLyog then if there are problems I can restore those and, hopefully be back where I started. But always try to be aware you can never be certain a backup copy is ok until the need arises to use it!

I also have a totally separate development domain with its own aMember licence so I can upgrade that site first and see if I encounter problems prior to upgrading main site. Plus I normally upgrade main site on a Monday and Tuesday so hopefully support is available to sort any problems.
  9. jfolk

Thank you all for your help, tips, and comments. They are appreciated.

We contacted a technician listed in the Discussion Forum, and he has been working on getting us back online. Our main problem turned out to be that our server's PHP was 5.2 (which amember 4.4.4 worked fine on) but not the 4.5.1 update. A technician at our web host provider did a major system upgrade for us, and that in combination with the other technician we've been working with has gotten our membership system running again. Right now, the amember technician is in the process of doing a final evaluation, but things are working smoothly again, which we are thankful for. I'll post a final comment on this once we've been given the green light.

Again, thank you all for your help during this challenging time. It was greatly appreciated!
  10. kcarey

kcarey Member

Will aMember 4.5.1 still work on PHP 5.3.x?

Thanks for posting your experience! I haven't updated yet, but plan to do so in the near future.
  11. jfolk

We are back up and running, thanks to our web host technician and Miso, who we found through this Discussion Forum. Both worked hard through the weekend to get things up and running for us.

aMember Pro says it requires PHP 5.3. We updated to 5.4.35. aMember is working smoothly now.

Miso was quick, reasonably priced, and responsive. If you are looking for aMember support, I highly recommend him. You can find him at 99pixels.com.

A Merry Christmas to you all.