Understanding Email Integrations (Aweber)

Discussion in 'Integration' started by tharyn13, Jul 21, 2013.

1. tharyn13

tharyn13 New Member

Hi,

I would like some help understanding how amember works with the email integrations aWeber.
    1. Can amember move people between my lists in aweber?
    2. What are the abilities that I do have when I am integrating aweber?
    3. Can I add my customers to a list inside aweber?
    4. How do other people take control of their email marketing when using Amember?
    Thanks for the help!
  2. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Maybe it will help to understand whats going on behind the scenes.

aMember is simply notifying aweber that a member should be added to your specific list. It currently doesnt 'move' members. When a member is added to list A, aweber needs a opt-in confirmation from the member.

then if they order product B, amember adds them to that list, and aweber asks for the confirmation again. If you have your aweber rules set to remove them from list A, this will happen too.

Yes, you still have normal access to your aweber lists.

David
  3. tomingles

tomingles Member

Hi David & Tharyn

I'm just looking into configuring my Amember account with the Aweber plugin but this repeated confirmed opt-in is a nightmare.

I have been using Aweber for years now, and have always had it set up so that whenever a customer buys something, on the "thank you" page we heavily push them the benefits of joining the "customers list" in order to get free product updates, other freebies etc. When they sign up and confirm, they are moved from our "prospects" to our "customers" list.

After 4 years of data, we have a 27% confirmed opt-in to the customers list. Very poor.

What this means is that most of our customers stay on the "prospects" list, and receive repeated offers (sometimes cheaper) for products they have already purchased. I have no doubt this achieves the opposite to what Aweber's rules are intended to, and results in increased spam complaints as well as damaging our relationship with customers.

The annoying thing is that according to the Can Spam act,

Speaking to Aweber, they are adamant that even if someone has already been through a confirmed opt-in with our company to receive our emails, and even if they are a paying customer and we are only moving them across lists, they have to confirm again… and again… and again…

Because of this, I'm considering hosting our "customers" list separately on MailChimp and manually deleting customers from my "prospects" list on Aweber periodically (ie before a promotion). As they will all be paying customers, we would not put them through confirmed opt-in.

Has anyone successfully used MailChimp without confirmed opt-in for this?
    Does anyone have any tips on how to get around the incessant confirmed opt-in (for already opted-in customers) with Aweber?

Thanks!
  4. david_hunt

david_hunt aMember Pro Customer

Just a heads up - I have found Mail chimp sucks at creating emails it drops out and does not save. HAs anyone else found this?