Trying to understand the process

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by petertravis, Sep 30, 2013.

1. petertravis

petertravis aMember Pro Customer

Apologies for yet another question - maybe I should collate all the answers and write a book! I've just purchased amember and am trying to get my head around the software. I have a question about the process the system goes through when a customer orders.

I've been using simple Paypal 'Buy now' buttons on the current site (which isn't using amember). We don't do recurring payments, just a one-off payment when the customer subscribes. Paypal supplies the code and I've been pasting it into the html on the subscribe page. The customer clicks the button, gets taken to Paypal, the customer signs in and makes the payment.

My questions are,

a) after filling in the amember sign up form is the customer transferred to Paypal in the same way?
    b) when I finally set these products up in amember are these button codes I use at the moment redundant or are these codes what amember requires as well?
    c) When selecting a plugin should I be choosing PayPal express or PayPal pro

Thanks
  2. petertravis

Have just read the manual and question 'a' is answered directly and I imagine that 'b' is 'yes', button code is not used in amember. Still not sure about 'c'. The help documentation is using an older version of amember and doesn't differentiate between Paypal express and Paypal Pro. It just refers to the 'paypal plugin'. Can anyone explain why I should choose one over the other. I'm not doing recurring billing if this helps.
  3. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

You have 2 options
    1) amember in front- you use the amember signup form to collect user information (user profile) before sending them to paypal to make the payment
    2) paypal buttons in front- you place paypal buttons on your page, they go directly to paypal, make the payment and amember will generate the user profile.

David
  4. petertravis

Once again, thanks David. I still don't understand the difference between the PayPal Express and PayPal Pro plugin. Is there any reason to choose one over the other? I have a premier account and won't be doing recurring billing. Does it make a difference which one I choose?
  5. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

For a regular premiere account- you use the regular paypal plugin in amember.

David