Tracking sales tax obligations

Discussion in 'Payments processing' started by mhalper2000, Aug 2, 2014.

1. mhalper2000

mhalper2000 aMember Pro Customer

Hello,

We provide a subscription software application and it is my understanding that we need to pay sales tax for users that are located in the same state as where we are based (TX). I am currently only using Paypal for payment processing and with that I do not have access to users billing address.

Our sign up form does not ask for the subscriber's address so we currently do not know who is in our state and whom we need to be paying sales tax for.

Is there a best way for getting this information to stay compliant?

On another note, I am going to try to move over to a different payment service and considering authorize.net. I do not know if that will provide the information needed or not.

Any help would be great!
  2. thehpmc

thehpmc Member

Would you not need to ask subscriber to at least provide State information?

Failing that you would need to recover address information from payment service provider.
  3. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member

I agree with @thehpmc you need to add Address Brick to your signup form. You can do it at
    aMember CP -> Configuration -> Forms Editor. Then you can enable 'Regional Tax' at aMember CP -> Configuration -> Setup/Configuration (Tax) and configure tax rate based on user location. aMember will calculate tax based on user address and add tax amount to product price automatically.