"this page isn't redirecting properly"

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by isobel, Jan 7, 2009.

1. isobel

isobel New Member

Hi guys!

My members have been getting an error whenever they try to view protected content. They log in, then click on protected content. Amember then asks them to log in again. When they log in again they get the following error message:

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
    cookies."

When I tried to test this out amember wouldn't recognize my admin password on the second log in request so I had to make a new user test account, which showed me the error message I got earlier.

My server guy tells me that nothing is showing up in the logs and it looks like amember isn't authenticating properly or doesn't care if someone is legit.

Any advice? Suggestions? I need to fix this asap, paying members are getting ticked off but aren't telling me there's a problem and just cancel their accounts!

Another member just sent me this reply to my "who is having problems?" email:
    I have the same problem but slightly different messages. (I'm running Windows XP.) In Opera, I get a message, "Found: The document has moved here" with a link on "here", but when I click the link, it just blanks the browser window and can't finish loading the page. In Firefox, I get the message, "Redirect Loop: Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete." I thought I had downloaded the images this morning, but when I looked at them, they turned out to be just HTML files with the error message.
  2. n4v4rr0

n4v4rr0 New Member

I'm having the same problem....your post is from a few weeks ago, did you find the solution?
  3. Stim_Pey69

Stim_Pey69 New Member

bump.
    Having the same problem. Need answer ASAP
  4. codeispoetry

codeispoetry aMember Pro Customer

Hey guys,

I just saw this thread - thanks for the bump ckearns.

You will experience this because you didn't setup aMember's protections properly. Try checking your setup for circular requests.

If you need help looking into your setup, email me codeispoetry [at] amemberincremental.com

Lee
  5. alphadev

alphadev New Member

Solution

This has happened to me a few times. The problem is when you move the users home directory like when you change servers.

Just edit the .htaccess file and check the paths, specifically on the ReWriteCond rule.

Make sure this path is correct.

RewriteCond /home/yoursite.com/members/data/new_rewrite/%1-2 -f
  6. mikecgi

mikecgi Moderator

Or just delete the .htaccess files in those protected folders or paths where you are running into this circular reference error... and then re-protect them all over again through aMember "Protect Folders".
  7. awylie

awylie aMember Pro Customer

This can sometimes happens when the hosting server's /tmp directory is full of user sessions. Cleaning the cache through a telenet connection will correct the problem. However, it will quickly fill up again.

I just got Dreamhost to switch my /tmp directory from a virtual drive to the hard disk. Fingers crossed.
  8. cantstop81

cantstop81 aMember Pro Customer

I'm having an redirect issue as well when members click on protected content they get a redirect page error , it seems to work in internet explore & google crome , it seems this issue only happens when using firefox....Why ? How can I fix ?
  9. caesar

caesar aMember Pro Developer Staff Member