Switching Servers That Amember Is On

Discussion in 'Installation' started by jcary, Jun 18, 2003.

1. jcary

jcary Guest

Hi -- (please forgive if in the wrong section....)

I'm planning on switching web hosts soon and just wanted to know how aMember would handle the move. What steps do I need to make certain to do in regards to aMember? How exactly do I keep all the records I currently have? Do I download all the aMember files then re-upload them to the new server? I also have to change the database. Will that mess things up in any way?

Thanks for the guidance.

Josh
  2. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Move to another host:

1. Backup everything - both files and MySQL database. make sure you made it.
    2. Copy files to new server
    3. Restore MySQL database content on the new server (it will have another database name, not a problem)
    4. Edit (on the new server) amember/config.inc.php - put new database settings.
    5. Copy your .htaccess files (which control protection for your paid content). Make sure that files has
    correct pathnames to .htpasswd and .hgroup file - path is possible changed.
  3. Denise

Denise Guest

I seriously hope someone can help me. I've been at this all day and for the life of me I cannot find what needs to be changed and I am not getting any information back on whether I am getting help with this or not. I have members who are going to be VERY upset as they've paid for access and cannot access my members area.

After writing to ask for help with the script, I realized that my problem lies with the fact that I've switched servers yesterday. Now, I am still with the same web host, but they were offering a better deal and the only way I could take advantage of that was to let them switch me over to the other server.

Without thinking of it, but finally clueing in, I realized there was a page I had to edit somewhere, it includes my server paths. I read this thread and looked at my config-inc.php and the only thing it says there is "deny from all", there are no paths there at all, and I have wracked my brain looking for the file this includes. Now if I am missing something, it would not be the first time. Every .htaccess file I have says deny from all, and that's not helping me at all.

I have never had a problem with this script, and really, my problem still doesn't lie with the script, it's beautiful... but I have to get past this minor problem and fast... since it's the weekend, NO ONE at my hosting company is going to be able to help me until Monday.

My host just moved all my stuff to the new server, they didn't change anything. They will have a backup of my site from about 3-4 days ago, but come Monday, who's to say it's still going to be there for me? I wouldn't have to set up a new database with the new server, would I? My host would have known we had a database and would have set it up for us on the new server. And logging in, I see it.

Please help, I am so frustrated and I don't know this script well enough to make any changes myself....

Sorry to bother anyone but I am desperate!

Denise
  4. alex-adm

alex-adm Guest

Denise,
    if you read signup email, you know that better way to get quick help is to email: support@cgi-central.net or to submit contact form on your site. Thank you!
  5. Denise

Denise Guest

I actually emailed you, Alex.... You asked me for my information so you'd be in a better position to help me out. The domain was for www.webgals.ca... can you still help me out?

Den@webgals.ca
  6. Jane

Jane Guest

Hi

I'm still installing and playing with amember, and it seems really good so far :)

I'm concerned about backing up and moving amember as I shall shortly be moving hosts. I have read the instructions above and understand all that, but because .htpasswd is invisible on the server I can't back that up. Can you create another .htpasswd file and if so how? Or do you need to? Is the information stored elsewhere?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

Jane
  7. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

Jane,
    aMember re-creates files .htpasswd and .htgroup every time from database info, so it is not necessary to backup these files.
  8. Dune

Dune Guest

Where I can find .htaccess files on my server.
    What changes I have to make in .htpasswd and .hgroup ?
  9. alex

alex aMember Pro Customer Staff Member

.htaccess files should be present in all your protected folders. These files can be hidden via FTP, then check for these files using webhosting control panel file manager.
  10. nlnsta

nlnsta Guest

Question about .htaccess files

Hi Alex,

You stated that:

Is this still valid if I am using php-include for my protection?

If not, is there anything else that is required instead of step 5 above?

Thanks Alex,
    Scott.
  11. tjhanes

tjhanes Guest

Can you respond to the reply directly above?

That is my situation, and I would be interested in knowing the answer. Thank you.
  12. tomarriola

tomarriola Member

I use php includes for protection and when i moved servers the php tag at the top of the pages needed to change to match the new file path. My tag looks similar to this:

<?php
    $_product_id = array(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10); require_once '/var/www/html/www.domain.com/web/membership/plugins/protect/php_include/check.inc.php';
    ?>

Tom
  13. telson

telson New Member

Switching Servers

Will Amember run on a windows media server?.
  14. ladyalex

ladyalex New Member

Hi! I have submitted a ticket about the re installation of my aMember after changing my webhosting. I would like to know how much time it will take (I submit the ticket on Friday) and after the re installation does I will have to change the name of my path?!! As the new webhost don't have the same path for my domain so.....

Also, I would like to know if someone knows about to restore the backup MySQL.. Does I have to restore the zipped file (gzip file) or the extracted file (sql file) .. And what's include this backup?? I have backup only this so... I can't access to my old aMember anymore to backup everything I don't...

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks
    Alexandra
  15. michaelroger85

michaelroger85 New Member

The initiative taken for the concern is very serious and needs an attention of everyone. This is the concern which exists in the society and needs to be eliminated from the society as soon as possible.

Michaelroger85

Am I the only one here who enjoys a little bit of poker? Although I wonder if I'll become addicted and lose my shirt. Well probably not it isn't strip poker after all.

http://cakepoker.com/?t=4791&Lang=e
  16. abgcompu

abgcompu New Member

Error with smf after upgrade

I am having this issue with my smf and amember integration:

No members can log into the amember. They receive this error"

MYSQL ERROR:
    Unknown column 'memberName' in 'where clause'
    in query:
    SELECT * FROM tinypip_smf1.smf_members WHERE memberName = 'abg4x'

Please help
  17. marketingactionclub

marketingactionclub New Member

OK, I've been working on moving my aMember/Wordpress site to a new hosting arrangement. I must not have followed all my directions correctly, because it's not working correctly and I'm getting some errors.

I'm lost and not sure what to attempt next in resolving. I'll see if I can explain below.

For example, in attempting to login to member only protected content...

When I first click to login link I see this error at the top of my login.php page.

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 3132 of file common.inc.php

Then once I try to login, I get several more errors and never redirected back into the protected content.

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 3132 of file common.inc.php

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 106 of file new_rewrite.inc.php

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 1188 of file wordpress.inc.php

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 1190 of file wordpress.inc.php

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 1192 of file wordpress.inc.php

WARNING: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home1/getmoreg/public_html/marketingactionclub/amember/db.inc.php:91) in line 798 of file check.inc.php

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.
  18. davidm1

davidm1 aMember User & Partner

Helping marketingactionclub with this one.

Looks like the move corrupted a number of files.
    best fix, update to latest version of amember, then reupload the full new version overwriting all the existing files and plugins.

David
  19. kimboy

kimboy New Member

Will Amember run on a windows media server?.
  20. maximize

maximize Member

hey - we moved our server to Rackspace host from Hostgator and having significant issues since the move. Specifically, these two:

1) On the new server build, everything works except the login. We're using AMProtect on aMember pro 3.2 - Here's one of the things we've found. Wondering if you've seen this as an issue as well?

2) The reason we moved it to second server at Rackspace (which caused the error above) was that the site comes up but some people, not all were getting redirect errors when trying to login.

It especially happened in https://mynams.com vs. http://mynams.com - http://mynams.com would work. https://mynams.com would throw some people into a redirect error on the browser.

Any suggestions.

David